Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anemone from seed?

Posted by mamahoohoo 2a Regina SK (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 10:23

A friend gave me a little puff of seeds from her snowball anemones this summer, and I'm looking for advice on how to sow them. Winters are *cold* here, and she doesn't have a whole bunch of self-seeded plants so I don't think that fall sowing is the best idea. Should they be winter sown? plopped on the ground in the spring? started inside? is it normal for them to be *this* tiny? (they feel like fine chaff caught in a cotton ball)

How about lighting? I know they prefer some shade, but will they be ok in direct sun? Shade is at a premium in my yard, and is mostly used up by 'people stuff'. lol

I'd love any advice you can offer!
Vikki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anemone from seed?

Hi Vikki!
Sow seeds from Snowdrop Anemones indoors in February. Cover the seeds lightly (not deep) just barely with soil mix. You can expect germination to be very slow and sporadic. You can sow them outdoors during the fall as well and they may or may not bloom the first year. Also they will grow in a spot were they receive a half to full day of sun provided you keep the soil moist. My experience is that they grow best in full sun with moist soil but the flowers don't last as long. I prefer to grow them in partial sun, either morning or afternoon it doesn't seem to matter. The most important thing is to keep the soil moist so mulching helps a lot.

Hope this helps!
Cindi

o
RE: Anemone from seed?

Awesome, thank you so much! I normally don't water anything except the veggies unless it's scorching hot and dry, but I suppose I can divert a few ml from the rain barrel.

I think I've even figured out where to put 'em!

Thanks again,
Vikki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here