Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do we pick the Right Trees for a corner Town house?

Posted by shirrick ON (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 12:07

Please help! First time home owner, I believe backyard size is 25' wide by 15' deep!

I am a busy working while taking care of elderly, hence need 'maintenance' free Trees which will add to Nature(attract Birds & Butterflies), yet reasonably affordable! Trees should be Neither too tall, nor too short; backyard is fully sunny facing Northwest in York Region. Currently nothing planted. Looking to first establish the backyard, then hopefully will work on side/front yard.

Had the following in mind:
Smooth Serviceberry
PAGODA Dogwood
Japanese false lilac
Grey dogwood

Will greatly appreciate your advise as we are having a hard time deciding.
Is it too late to plant this year?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do we pick the Right Trees for a corner Town house?

Pagoda dogwood and Grey dogwood are considered to be "understory" trees which grow better with afternoon shade and damp soil......the serviceberry trees are notorious for suckering and will send up suckers along the root system and become a problem in your lawn......
Japanese Ivory Silk Lilac is a nice intermediate size tree, which would be a good choice.....as would a Mountain Ash, which is "showy" and the robins and other birds will eat the berries.....Amur Maple or Globe maples are always a good choice.....they don't have berries, but the fall colour makes up for it ...both of these trees won't get too big for your needs.....

o

I've had a service berry for years and never had an issue about suckering. My neighbor has this as well. In fact I just love this plant. It does attract birds that will eat it's berries.

I do like all your choices. Especially the Japanese false lilac. Certain maples shed too much so just be aware of that. I prefer japanese maples - short though. Unless you choose 'Bloodgood'.

i own an ornamental pear tree "Chanticleer" which is upright and a good fit in a small yard. I had chopped off the top of the tree to encourage it to spread out a bit more and provide me with more foliage for privacy.. The leaves are shiny and it blooms white flowers in spring.

o

I've had a service berry for years and never had an issue about suckering. My neighbor has this as well. In fact I just love this plant. It does attract birds that will eat it's berries.

I do like all your choices. Especially the Japanese false lilac. Certain maples shed too much so just be aware of that. I prefer japanese maples - short though. Unless you choose 'Bloodgood'.

i own an ornamental pear tree "Chanticleer" which is upright and a good fit in a small yard. I had chopped off the top of the tree to encourage it to spread out a bit more and provide me with more foliage for privacy.. The leaves are shiny and it blooms white flowers in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here