Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlem_2007

rose of sharon colour

littlem_2007
15 years ago

hello, everyone, i have been wanting a blue rose of sharon. every one i have bought - even though the tag says "blue" - it always turns out to be pink/dark pink. would giving it acidic fertilizer get the flowers to turn blue??

thanks.

sue

Comments (9)

• orchidguy4ever
    15 years ago

The true blue cultivars are 'blue moon' or the more common 'blue bird'. Many cultivars claiming to be blue are rather more mauve or muddy pinks. All the syriacus hibiscus enjoy a humus rich, moist alkaline soil with good drainage. They also do best in full sun to bring out their full colouration

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello, orchidguy, thanks. i guess i will have to look for a blue moon or blue bird. i have sort of hoping that they are like hydrangeas.
    sue

• halaeva
    15 years ago

Hi Sue.
    I grow many cultivars of Hibiscus Syriacus for many years and my experience tells me to purchase Hibiscus in bloom in order to know the colour I am getting.When it comes to blue Rose of Sharon I wish it exists.Those so called blue cultivars are not true blue.They are more purple or lilac. The closest to blue is Blue Bird and Blue Satin.I do not know if it is any way to make the flower blue.I also would like to know how to do it, because my Blue Bird and Blue Satin wish to were blue and I'd love them to be true blue.
    I wish you to get a blue Rose of Sharon.
    Hala.

• orchidguy4ever
    15 years ago

Tell you what, I will vegetativly propagate a few for you in the spring if you remind me on this forum to do so. My "true blue" bluebird is at the height of its bloom right now and it is a real blue. I will start some in the greenhouse on the propagating benches and have a plant for you in time for next planting season. They come into leaf a little late in this area, so if you are patient, just let me know if you would like one OK. I think I have stated this before, but mine are growing on a southern foundation with a mixture of good garden loam and a sandy gravel mixture(they hate wet feet). If there are any other colors you are looking for, just let me know

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Orchid guy you are amazing and an amazing source of information.

I have just planted an entire row of Rose of Sharon in different colours.

At my previous two homes, I did have common Rose of Sharon that was a good blue as well.

Orchid guy how is it that you can grow Rose of Sharon so easily.
    I wouldn't mind a few of them maybe, or I can try to grow some of my own.

I put in nine plants so far but could another nine. Figured I will add them next year.

• orchidguy4ever
    15 years ago

Always know your plants origin, that is an indication of its needs. Just that information alone can make the difference between growing and flourishing.These particular cultivars grow wild from India through to China, and grow in scrublands. From this I know that an average well drained soil is needed. Mine are a bit more protected here. They are not too fussy of PH, but I'm sure wouldnt do well in extremes of either a too high or too low PH.
    If you remind me in the spring (I'll be here) then if you're interested I will send you those rooted cuttings.

• wmc1
    15 years ago

I have blue satin seeds if you want or if in my area some seedlings that I just pull up and put in compost and they are as blue as I have ever seen.

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello orchidguy, i would love to have a blue one and so generous of you to offer. should i remind you in april? thanks. i had 3 growing in my front yard. i dug one up last year and gave it to a friend. i planted another one but it turns out not to be blue either. they grow very well in this location.
    hello wmc1, seeds don't do well for me. i can germinate them but then - that's mostly as far as i can get. how long will it take for seedlings to flower? and thanks for your offer.
    sue

• orchidguy4ever
    15 years ago

Littlem
    Just post a reminder for me in early april, and I will root the cuttings in a pro-mix in the utility greenhouse for you.