Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xcaret_gw

what vine is this ?

xcaret
16 years ago

I have these vines that were here when I moved in .I love them and put chicken wire on several sheds and they are now covered ,as is my south wall of my house. My deck gets hot as its on the west side and theres a big patio door that doesnt help cool the house either ,so yesterday I extended the raing up to 8 feet higk all around the deck and covered the extended part (4'higher)with 2 inch chicken wire ( or whatever you call it ).The railing is covered in vines and now I have started helping the vines to climb up the wire ,I plan on having the vines block the sun ,and help cool the deck .I always called these vines virginia creepers but new they werent ..they have 3 sections per dark green leaf ,dont flower ,dont change color ,climb like crazy,spread underground and pop up as far as 2 feet away from the next plant and the vines dont come back to life in spring ,new growth starts each year .I have "layered " them to help them spread in the direction I want them to grow ,and it works good ,as does transplanting them.They dont have any little pads to cling to the wall ,they just wind there way around things and climb that way ..The vines have stiff fuzzy stuff on them which lets them stick to other fuzzy stuff (like my frayed clothes line ),and to their other tenacles .If someone can mention any possibilities I can look them up on the net .

Neil

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH