Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Lavender

Posted by valzone5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 12:50

Can someone give me some directions on preparing the soil for planting lavender please? Do I add much compost? Do I add bone meal? The soil right now is loose and well drained. It has only had weeds growing there for many years - this will be the first time in at least a decade, possibly more, that any perennial will be put in this spot. Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Lavender

Hi, this is my favorite plant. I have several in my garden.

Loves a south facing yard - loads of sun.

You could add compost mixed in with your soil but bear in mind this plant likes free draining soil Too much compost can produce too much moisture being trapped in the ground. I prefer using triple mixes - specifically the Black Earth ones from Loblaws or Home Depot. Bone meal is unecessary. Mound the soil a bit so when it rains the plant will not sit in too much water.

That's it. Don't hard prune this plant in the fall. Always prune them in late spring or early summer.

Ianna

o
RE: Planting Lavender

Thanks so much Ianna! I have the perfect spot - south facing raised bed. I will plant them tonight. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here