Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea - what could be wrong?

Posted by hammonds_ns 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 12:58

I was hoping I could get some advice on the state of my hydrangea. It was put in about a month ago at which point it was looking decent, I thought it would do some blooming etc. Now the leaves have this speckled brown on them and the flowers have lost their colour, have spots and no new blooming. We had a good amount of rain about 2 weekends ago and I don't know if this may have waterlogged the plant? This is my first hydrangea experience. My neighbours (I live in a semi rural area) have a blue hydrangea at the front of their home and it looks great right now with vibrant colour-wondering what could be wrong with mine? I made this post on the hydrangea boards but received no feedback. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea - what could be wrong?

Your Hydrangea looks fine. It is simply getting used to it's new surroundings and adjusting to your soil. If you look at the top new leaves, they are nice and green and most of what is turning colour is the old growth from when you purchased the plant. I bought three Azaleas this year and they are all doing the same thing. Next year you won't see the discolouration.

Lacecap Hydrangeas (which is the variety you have) bloom on the previous year's wood, so it's likely that all the blooms you see is what you will have for this year.

So, in essence, your Hydrangea is doing perfectly fine.

Oh, and welcome to the forums from a fellow Nova Scotian. :O)

o
RE: Hydrangea - what could be wrong?

Hi Tiffy,

I hadn't checked this post in a few days and just wanted to say thanks for your response! I think you are correct as the plant has continued to be healthy aside from the discoloration in the leaves, and no blooming which I wasn't really expecting this year anyway. Good to hear from another Nova Scotian!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here