Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble with my coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset'

Posted by Blackdesertwind none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 13:29

I purchased some coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset,' my favorite! They were in bloom at the time (1st pic). I planted them in garden soil and the blooms lasted about 2 weeks. I was deadheading them as the blooms died. Now the new buds won't open even after waiting weeks (the last pic). I wonder why. Anyone knows what I could do?

All Photos are copyright Natalie Lavoie 2013 and may not be used in any form without my permission.

This post was edited by Blackdesertwind on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 15:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble with my coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset'

Here are the buds that won't bloom.

o

It's just takes a little more time bloom. I can see these buds still have some maturing to go.

o

The buds don't seem to be maturing though after all that time.

o

could be what's called bud balling. It's unclear exactly what causes that problem but cool wet weather is one of the reasons. Just water in the evening and not during hot sunny days. I would suggest fertilizing but that's not what you should do in the height of the summer sun....

All you can do is be patient and hope it improves.

o

These were planted in a new flower bed so the soil is fertile enough and I water only as needed early in the morning and late in the evening when needed.
They are not soaked but did not dry out either.
I never water in mid day except for potted plants.

o

Are they in full sun? I have problems with a few of my coreopsis cultivars not opening or not blooming enough, but I think in my case, it is not enough sun.

o

Yes they are in full sun...as of today those buds still did not bloom :(

o

Its probably more to do with having been transplanted that stunted growth for now... Just be patient.. it may not bloom at all this season but it will by next season.. Keep the roots healthy. These things happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here