Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do now in preparation for next year?

Posted by bonepink none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 13:48

We just bought our first home - a townhouse with a modest garden that wraps around 3/4 of a patio. The previous owner had a lovely garden at one point I am sure, but in recent years let it become overgrown.

Since it is the middle of August I wanted to simply focus on preparing for next year. I've started by pulling up all plants and weeds currently taking over the garden.

I am a beginner gardener and would love to try vegetables and flowers, but would prefer vegetables over the two.

Question is what should I start doing now? As I said I've been pulling everything up. Should I discard all these plants? Leave them to rot there? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I really am a beginner at this. What else should I be doing now? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do now in preparation for next year?

I would simply throw out the weeds as these may contain seeds or roots that could regrow if placed in a compost pile. Do this to start fresh.

If you plan to do only vegetables next year, then all you will need to do is add new soil and this you can do in the spring when the ground is ready for planting.

Does this answer your questions?

o

Great thanks! Easy enough. That's sort of what I was thinking, regarding seeds and roots of old plants... Thanks for your help.

o

I agree with ianna....soil amendments such as compost manure etc., dug in now will enrich your soil for next year...adding compost each year should be your number one priority to ensure a healthy productive garden....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here