Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

New plants - good or bad?

bonniepunch
17 years ago

So what did you try this year? How did you like it?

I bought a black Colocasia this spring and am thrilled with it - it started with a few 2-3 inch long leaves and it now has 8 foot long leaves! And it'll be bigger next year! Very impressive looking. I'm hoping for a few babies when I dig it up, but mostly I hope I can overwinter it so that I have a *huge* plant next year.

I also bought a Rodgersia podophylla. It has put out some new growth but seems to be a slow starter. It can have some nice orange tints to its leaves, but I didn't get any. Either it's too young yet, or it needs more sun to bring out the colours. Still love the leaves though.

Some 'odds and ends' I picked up on sale at the local market have done really well. An unidentified Rex Begonia with black leaves has gotten huge. My cute little Sempervivums are putting out lots of babies - I guess I'd better figure out how I'm going to overwinter them!

A couple of purchases from last year have really taken off. My Japanese Painted Fern is huge, has been divided already and is ready for much larger pots. And my Cimicifuga (it's officially Actaea now, but it'll be awhile before that name change 'takes') is nice and big with three flower stalks - I bought it in a four inch pot last fall. It can be a slow grower, so this means it is really happy :-)

So far no plant disasters of any kind. I'll be crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that the rest of the year is as co-operative.

BP

Comments (5)

• halaeva
    17 years ago

I will be crossing my fingers with you.
    How about posting photos.I will be glad to see them and many others as well, I think.
    Hala.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Oooh. I like to buy, but rarely do.

I bought Aruncus Doicus (Goatsbeard) at the flea market for $2.00. Lady thought it was an Astilbe of the regular kind, but I knew better. Nice 2 gallon plant.

At the same flea market a couple of weeks later, I bought a Lacecap Hydrangea - can't remember the name... For $5.00 in a one gallon pot.

Mid-summer, I bought a Variegated Lacecap Hydrangea at a nursery for $15.00. Then my daughter spotted a Campsis Tagliabuana - Indian Summer Trumpet Vine which flowers a salmon orangey colour - for $35.00. I told her we couldn't afford it, so she asked the lady if she would sell it for a lower price! The lady sold it for 1/2 price to her! I think I'll bring her shopping from now on...

I also bought an Endless Summer Hydrangea. Nice plant! After 4 weeks in the ground, I went to trim some branches off and discovered they had rooted, so now I have two more. Not a bad deal for $12.00.

Also bought a Black Snakeroot plant and Ligularia 'Rocket' and Echinacea Sunrise or Sunset - can't remember which. :)

Three St. Cloud blueberry bushes.

From family and friends I acquired 4 new hostas, one lilac tree, 2 rose bushes, one huge delphinium plant, 3 more perennial geraniums, and I'm probably forgeting some.

Along with the new winter sown plants, and the ones that are going into their second and third year, it's time to take-up more lawn. Nice thing is, DH seems to be warming up to the idea of less lawn. Happy happy joy joy!!

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

Ladies this sounds exciting to read about your bargains.
    I have been good this season, but it is very difficult to be so, especially when it comes to gardening.
    I am thinking to put my house for sale in September so don't want to leave more good stuff behind.
    Hate the thought of moving. Have only been in this home for two years but the gardens are beginning to take shape.

Makes me feel good though to read the bargains that you have found and how well they are doing.

• organic_natalie
    17 years ago

Diane, I feel your pain. We have left our home to live with the mom-in-law (her bad health) and have had to forsake our gardens. We try to get back for weeding but somehow the weeds know we are gone. The mom-in-law has great gardens but we will be selling her place in the spring. We have already made arrangements for cargo van/ flatbed truck to haul half of her gardens back to our home. We thought it was too hard to leave all those old babies behind and a nice touch to keep the plants in the family. Just thought you might be able to do the same, you'll miss the house but can bring some of it forward with you. Good luck! :D

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oooo, yuk! Moving! I know I'll eventually have to do it, since we rent, but I prefer to live in denial of such a thing for now :-) I'd have to take or find homes for all my plants...

tiffy - I think your DH had learned the bonus side effect of having a garden nut for a spouse - less mowing :-)

I forgot about a few things - I bought a Jasmine early this summer, and it has been such a non-stop bloomer, and the scent is so strong we can smell it inside! And I got a Polygonum virginianum 'Painter's Palette' - considering the general invasiveness of Polygonums, it has been slow to take off. I love the leaf markings, and maybe it'll hope it lives up to its thug reputation next year.

BP