Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tazdacat

fragant bedstraw

tazdacat
16 years ago

While out on a camping trip I came across this wierd looking herb and looked it up in my handbook and identifyed it as Galium Triflorum. I also found some Field Mint and took a small handfull of each and made a little tea with itwhen I got back to my tent,

wow what a taste Vanilla and mint mixed together Fantastic!

I've been looking all over the net for more info on the Galium Triflorum and keep getting very little info on this herb. What I'm trying to find out is can I grow this at home,or buy the herbs somwhere,is it safe and so on. can anyone help?

Comments (12)

• ianna
    16 years ago

Tazdacat, I found lots of information on the net. What specific info are you searching for?

By the way, one site describes it as a plant with anticoagulant features blocking vitamin K. Therefore for anyone out there on medications like blood thinners or are diabetic, it is probably wise to not consume this herb.

Other info I've found

"Occasionally, 1-3 stalks of flowers develop from the middle to upper whorled leaves; these stalks are often longer than the leaves, and they can be axillary or terminal. Each of these stalks may produce 1-3 flowers on slender pedicels. Each flower spans about 1/6" across, consisting of 4 greenish white to white petals, 4 stamens, and a bristly 2-celled ovary. Each petal tapers to a narrow tip. The blooming period occurs during the summer for about 2 months. Each flower is replaced by a bristly 2-celled carpel; each globoid cell contains a single small seed. The cells of the carpel eventually separate. The root system produces rhizomes. This plant can spread by reseeding itself, or by forming vegetative offshoots from the rhizomes"

Ianna

• tazdacat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Like you I've gotten the same info in my book.It doesn't say much about it.I'm trying to know if its worth having in my garden.is it ok to consume a little or do I risk getting sick.the reason I want to know is cause it tastes sooo good.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Bedstraw-shame on me! I have not idea what is the destiny of such weed.What is used for? As it is a weed,it would grow at home-I guess.Maybe this is a good idea to swith to growing weeds for a change. LOL. I would greatly appreciate if someone wanted to explain to me all the concept of Bedstraw.Thanks.

• tazdacat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its a fragrant herb that gives a vanila scent.good to stuff matresses and pillows with but makes an awsome tea.its also a vascular herb (thins blood). This is why I want to know more about this plant.

• ianna
    16 years ago

tazdacat,

These are several websites where I've found detailed information on galium triflorum. I'm sure you know this already but if not .... it is also a close relative of the sweet woodruff which is widely sold in garden centers, which also has a vanilla scent to it. (and I have it at home. It's invasive) However to go back to the websites I've found --

http://www.borealforest.org/herbs/herb16.htm - describes habitats and how it spreads

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Galium_triflorum_page.html - this one describes that it can be made into aromatic tea or to flavour wine. However no discussions on adverse effects.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Galium+triflorum -- this one describes itÂs herbal usage and propagation.

And I thought I'd include this one on the main phytochemical. coumarin which the plant produces. It's always best to know the pros and the cons when consuming herbs.

Http://www.phytochemicals.info/phytochemicals/coumarin.php
    Hope this helps. Richer Herbs is the largest distributor of herb seeds and plants and they are located in Ontario. However, in checking their website, they didn't contain any information on this specific plant. They do however have information on it's close relatives the sweet woodruff

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Thank you:ianna.
    Thank you tazdacat.

This is very interesting. 21-th Century, civilized World,matresses and pillows stuffed with straws.I am amazed, unbelievable!
    Very valuable information.It is greatly appreciated.

• hostaaud
    16 years ago

I think what we have here in halaeva is a genuine troll.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I think what we have here in halaeva is a genuine troll.

??

halaeva has been around for a couple of years and has a manner of speech (or writing, if you prefer) that indicates he/she does not speak English as a first language. There is no trolling here, only someone using words that you or I might not use to express surprise at something.

Trolling and arguing are rare here in this little corner of GW. Some of us will occasionally disagree about the relative importance or value of something, but pretty well everyone here welcomes the opportunity to learn something new.

BP

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Yes,i do not speak and write English well.I am a women native of Poland.I am very sorry,what i did.For last 3 weeks i suffer from colon cancer.
    Will have surgery after tomorrow and possibly o will not be able to come back here.
    I wish you all a good health.
    Hala.

• ianna
    16 years ago

There was nothing at all adverse about Halaeva's comments. I cannot even see why the comments would have been miscontrued in that way.

Halaeva -- I wish you the speediest recovery from your treatment. I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles but you are doing the right thing here.

Don't get too put off by such comments above. Some folks are just waay to sensitive to trolling which have been rather prolific in the US forums - which is too bad. Call it a case of mistaken 'identity'.

Ianna

• hostaaud
    16 years ago

I am sorry as I did not realize that there was a language barrier.

I was not the only one on this forum that was deeply offended by halaeva in another thread on this exact forum.

I do not wish to be tarred and feathered again, so I bid all of you adieu.

Subject closed.

Audrey

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

halaeva - Cancer is never an easy journey to make but I hope you have a quick recovery! Please do not let the negative comments get to you - you need to focus your energy on yourself for now :-)

BP