Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make flower bed around my lawn at the back of home

Posted by sdraza1 toronto (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 14:45

I have a relatively big lawn on the back of my home and I am removing grass and planting different plants (flowers and vegetables) besides the fence encircling my lawn. It rained a lot yesterday and in the evening when I dig out the soil near the fence to put a plant, the soil at the bottom which is the native soil and which is clay colored)was too watery ( if properly mixed it could be made as a paste), Top 6 inches or so is the garden soil which I bought from store. Now my question is that should I put more soil in the flower bed so that it is higher than the rest of the lawn. Perhaps that would help prevent lot of rain water going into the flower bed.
I think too much water during lot of rain might be harmful for the growth of plants. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make flower bed around my lawn at the back of home

Well, you could do raised beds for things that don`t like wet feet or you could go with the flow and plant things that like moist/wet/boggy conditions.

o

Have you had a greater amount of rain lately or is this a low level in your yard so it is always wet?

Ideally the soil will not touch the bottoms of the fence boards as it will cause them to rot. So I'd recommend making the flower bed wider and sloping the soil up from the fence ensuring soil is not touching the boards. You could mound the bed up from the fence then back down to the lawn level. Two feet width is narrow for a flower/vegetable bed and yours looks to be less than that.

I would mix the native clay soil with the purchased garden soil. Clay soil can have nutrients that the purchased soil may not have and will also help with moisture retention. If you mix a few inches of the clay soil with the new soil it should give you a deep enough bed for most plants.

Any grass you dig out can be composted in a corner of your yard. You can pile it up with the chunks upside down and it will rot and become good soil.

o

I agree. Don't let the soil touch the fence because it will rot the fence.

I would suggest first widening the plant bed. Do a double digging method -- (dig out a hole, , dig a second hole next to the other hole, mix that soil with triple mix+ rough sand (brick sand)), then put that soil into the first hole, dig out a third hole, do the same mixing and place that soil into the second hole., dig a fourth hole, mix the soil and place ithe soil in the 3rd hole .. and so forth. Thie will aerate the soil, make it rich. The compost will break up the clay, the sand will give it some grit.

Any grass you dig out will make great compost. In my case I would just put the grass back, but inverted so it kills the grass. The decomposing grass will return nutrients to ground.

Then use an edger and dig a V-shape trench to define the flower bed edges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here