Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Potted Plants

Posted by brenda5b 5b Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 14:53

Hi Everyone!
I live in the Bellevlle area (Zone 5B,I think!) and am wondering if I can bring in my potted plants which include geraniums, sweet potato vines, ivies, and grasses,and store them in the crawl space.

This is the first year I have spent so much time and money potting these up and because of an illness in the family had to spend most of the summer at a hospital bedside...friends and neighbors watered and fertilized and each time we were able to get home they were such a delight for us.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Potted Plants

Hi
You certainly can bring in your potted plants over the winter. Your ivies and sweet potatoe vine can be kept growing all year in a window of preferably a cool room, so that plants set out in spring will be huge. Geraniums (pelargoniums) can either be brought up to a sunny window or be stored dry over the winter in a cool, dark place. Your grasses, depending on species can also be stored in your crawlspace, if they are perennial.

o
RE: Overwintering Potted Plants

Brenda

I know from my own experience that the sweet potato vine will overwinter with no watering even. If necessary

It is actually a potato and that stays alive in the dirt it is planted in. So not to worry about the green or whatever colour of the leaves

Sometimes, I just bring those pots in, for winter, the entire planted pot and try it in the basement.

Some things live and others don't.
I am not home in winter so they just have to make it or not on their own.
Maybe same idea for you.

We should have or rather use those digital cameras to take pictures of some of this lovely stuff we are fortunate to grow.

Brenda, hope the person who was ill, whom you cared for, is doing better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here