Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

posting a photo of my yard

ianna
14 years ago

This is a photo of my garden in early summer.

{{gwi:537907}}

Things have changed significantly since and this is what it looks like in late summer

{{gwi:537909}}
{{gwi:537911}}

Comments (18)

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm on a learning curve and still need to know how to resize the photos. Any tips?

Ianna

• jroot
    14 years ago

Very nice, ianna. I love the two colours of the blue delphiniums. I have the yarrow here also ... can't get rid of it, but it has nice foliage. Clip the flowers when they are past and don't let them go to seed or you'll have them everywhere. ;-)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Under where you download the photos, there is a bar where you can choose the size you want. I think it says 'reduce size' but if you click on the options, you can also make them bigger. Took me a while to figure this one out to!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

I think your photos are just the right size. Nice gardens!!

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Glad to see you're mixing grasses with perennials. Each brings out the best in the other, don't you think?

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks John for the compliments and the tips about yarrow. Silly me I thought this little thing would grow to just 2 feet instead of the 4 feet it grew to this year. I chopped it down a couple weeks ago and plan to relocate it to another part of the bed. Obviously it needs to be in teh back of the border.

and thanks for the help and compliments everyone. Glad you like it. I'll try to reduce the picture size next time. I had given it a try but for some reason, over reduced one photo. I still have more experimenting to do.

I like to experiment with even more plants and I practise succession gardening so here's more photos of what came up since early summer..

my alliums & lavenders

{{gwi:537913}}

my wildflower experiment
    {{gwi:537914}}

and yet later in the season

{{gwi:537915}}

These are all in the same space. The upside of this experiment is that I have continues blooms, week to week and I have virtually no weeds. I don't bother with fertilizers except for compost, composted manure and bonemeals. I hardly use any annuals so these plants are not water hungry and this rainy season has been great for them anyway.

The downside is plants do grow fast and I will have to reduce, remove many by seasons end. Still this is an ongoing experiment. I do have many more plants I still haven't shown here and I do change the scenery constantly to keep things interesting.

Ianna

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Hi ianna,
    I love your garden,your plants.
    Resizing:
    If you want to resize picture prior to uploading to Photobucket go to your Picture Viewer Program in your computer and choose Resize among the tools.Photobucket provides also Image editor software: click on picture you want to resize, point Edit or Resize, choose the size you want.
    I would love to see moore of your pictures.
    Hala.

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Hala. Can you advise what is the appropriate size to post? I would like the photos to be somewhat smaller but when I chose small, it came out very tiny. I do use photobucket.

Ontnative - I do use lots of ornamental grasses and I am a follower of wildflower or 'natural' gardening so much of my plants are considered native. Thanks again for the encouragement.

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Ianna,As far as I know 640x480 is acceptable by GW,a max of 60 kilobytes is allowed. but as we see here 800x600 is ok. last time I forgot to resize one of my picture,posted it huge and heard no complains.Here is a Test Forum link,you can test a posting pictures before you decide what size you like.http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/test/

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Me again.
    Want you to see how looks my picture resized to 640x480 and having 53.6 kilobytes.
    Hala.{{gwi:537916}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Ianna, love your color combinations and congrats on your succession of color throughout the season, something I have yet to achieve.

Annette

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips Hala. I'll give it a go. BTW is that your datura? I have to say what a striking photo. I'm thinking of downloading it an using it a reference for a mosaic or a quilt.

Annette, thanks for your encouragement. I've yet to deal with early fall colours. I wanted to add asters but there's no room anymore... hahaha.

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Thanks ianna for your comment on my picture. This is Datura Innoxia-grown as annual in our climate.All parts of the plant are poisonous.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Ianna you can download the free Irfanview photo editing program from here. Be sure to get the free plugins as well, they make the program. It is very easy to resize individual photos or groups. This is a small program so will download quite quickly.

If you need help understanding the program come over to the Gardenweb computer help forum. Lots of willing help re computers there.

• consentida
    14 years ago

Ianna,
    Congratulations on your beautiful garden. The combination of colours and plants is ablsolutely gorgeous.
    Thank you for posting and starting a thread with tips about how to post pictures.I need all the help I can get on this department as well! LOL

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you like in Consentida... I've experimented with various designs and here are more photos of the same bed but with an early summer look.

{{gwi:537917}}

mid summer look
    {{gwi:537918}}

{{gwi:537920}}

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Ianna

Nice to see those photos of your front yard

I am interested in how close you have that bed to the sidewalk
    My house is in an older established area, in Barrie, Ontario.
    Frontage on my house is about seventy feet
    I have been working on a new flower bed this summer that is about sixty feet long and eight feet wide.
    I brought it right to the sidewalk. I think though this is going to be a problem

It is somewhat raised, the garden bed I mean, and I think some of the dirt will come out onto the sidewalk when it rains and that the snow removal machine will cut into it.
    I am thinking to either move it back a foot or perhaps put or have put along the bed, concrete edge, Poured edge.

Is your flower bed right up to the sidewalk or not

I have been moving perenials from here and there into the bed. Lots of sun on it all day

Have been to three abandoned farm houses, digging up some old perenials there. In the spring dug over 100 old daffodils of an unusual colour Looking forward to seeing them in bloom next spring.

• ianna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Diane,

I planted right up to the sidewalk. What's more my bed is on a slight slope as well so I did get problems in the beginning with soil being washed out.

I planted the smallest and lowest ground covers in the areas by the sidewalk. These are plants I wouldn't have to worry too much of. These can take some abuse from being accidentally walked over and maybe the occasional dog pee, or being accidentally pulled up by snow removal. So check the first photo I posted on Sept 8. I planted lambs ears, lady's mantle, thrifts with creeping thymes beneath. I also have spring bulbs there like some fritallarias. As for the snow removal machines. I've not had them pull up my yard yet but it does help to pile up all the snow in my area on this bed. We do pile up the snow so high that its above my head.

it may not be apparent but my bed is hedged with yews and boxwood. This keeps the plants in place and also helps with soil errosion. The flowers will look neatly in place when you set up hedges. So no the taller flowers are not planted closest to the sidewalk.

I designed my bed from the point of view of my front door. If you have a 60 foot bed, I would suggest you plant the tallest plants in the middle. To make the flowers pop out, give the plants a backdrop which is why I use ornamental grasses and a smoke tree. Tallest plants shld be in the back of the row, shortest in the front.
    When you do plant your daffodils, try to plant them as if it's a meandering stream. and when they do go dormant. cut off the leaves and overseed with annuals. This will give you continues colours through out the season.

hope this helps with your plans

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area