Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twruble

Bush gone crazy

twruble
16 years ago

Hi all! Hoping that you can help me with eradicating a crazy bush that I planted 3 years ago.

I am not certain of the name. Something like foxtail willow or something along those lines. 3 summers ago I bought this bush at about 2 feet high and 1 foot wide. By this summer it is was an awesome deck cover and growing rapidly. Probably 15 feet high and six feet wide. I loved it!

Problem was that it was quickly taking over the yard. Shoots every where. Coming up through deck and lawn as far as 10-15 away from original plant site. I gave in and let the hubby chainsaw it down (a sad, sad, day for me as I lost my deck privacy.) We dug up the root ball which was very difficult as some were probably an inch plus in diameter.

Six weeks later and we are still pulling shoots from the lawn. We have used "round up" and other weed killers on numerous occasions however nothing seems to work in killing the off shoot growths. Again, they are still popping up all over and there are probably 100 shoots now growing under the deck and in various parts of the yard. We can't seem to pull them fast enough. You pick 10-15 shoots one day and by the next there are just as many new ones.

I need help in eradicating. He was a lovely fellow when it came to deck cover but has now quickly proven to be a monster that we can't get rid of.

Any suggestions beyond ripping up the sod/yard and pulling out this hideous root system?

Thanks!

Comments (2)