Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karewren

reseeding & deadheading

karewren
17 years ago

Hi there! I'm a first-time forumer, and a very new gardener. I planted lots of stuff last summer (perennials, shrubs, and trees) and I have lots of questions, but will restrain myself to this one for now: Some plants, so I've been told, "reseed" themselves. I presume that means that, rather then just returning up through the same root system that it was planted on, once the flowers die and dry up, the little seeds inside the flower fall to the ground and creat new plants (am I right so far?). I've also been told that it is good to "deadhead" my plants for reblooming. However, if I dead head the spent flowers before the seeds have fallen to the ground to germinate the next season, will I lose that plant? Or does it still come up from the root system, but the fallen seeds would have created MORE of the same plant IN ADDITION to the original, still living plant? Make sense? If anyone takes the time to answer this question, please know I am very grateful for your attention and patience. Thank you so much and happy gardening!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting