Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianasan_gw

What to feed a wild bunny

dianasan
13 years ago

I think a wild bunny has moved into my yard. There are hundreds of wild bunnies in our and surrounding neighborhoods and I have seen evidence of them in my garden over the years, but this time I'm sure that this one bunny had moved in.

I have tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers and peppers, as well as raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, but none of these have been touched as far as I can tell. The only damage is to some of my zinnias and even there I'm not sure if they've been nibbled by bunnies or eaten by earwigs.

What I want to do is put out food for the bunny so that he has enough to eat and won't attack my berries and veggies. I did a Google search and came up with chopped carrots, carrot tops, fruit and sunflower seeds.

Any other suggestions on what to feed it or how I can persuade it to move on? I don't want to trap it because then I wouldn't know where to relocate it.

Comments (6)

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I had the same problem. Rabbits come out to feed mostly at night so I would take my dog into the garden during the day to leave his scent. He actually flushed out one or two rabbits but they ran faster than he did and they got away. They must have 'spread the word' because I haven't seen one out there for a few years. When he left his scent in the garden, I think the rabbits were hesitant to enter because they knew that he would be there. It might work with a cat to. I wouldn't feed them as that would only encourage them to stay for the tasty meals. Marg

• dianasan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They usually do come by during the night or early morning, but I saw this one at 5:30 pm one day and yesterday at about 10 am. That's what leads me to believe that it's actually living here.

Unfortunately, I don't have a dog. I have an indoor cat, but she's afraid of walking on grass.

When it didn't rain for a spell, I would put bloodmeal around the perimiter of my vegetable garden, but we're getting too many sporadic rain showers these days so that's not practical anymore.

I also have a plastic owl which I used to protect my lettuce. The lettuce never got nibbled, but it doesn't seem to keep away the rabbits (or birds) from my garden.

I know that feeding the rabbit might encourage it to hang around, but my garden is pretty much a bunny's vision of Eden (lol) so it really doesn't have any reason to leave unless I can make it inhospitable in some way. So if it's here to stay, I thought that if I make a dish of food available, it wouldn't bother with the stuff I'm growing.

• hill60
    13 years ago

If you feed it the rabbit will stay but so will all of its friends and relative. They are vegetarians and prefer fresh food, as you say bunny Eden.

Pet stores sell rabbit pellet food. Pet stores might also have scents you might be able to use to discourage them.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

There is a Scoot deer and rabbit repellant which is supposed to be pretty good, has anyone used it? It's said to work even after rain.

• ianna
    13 years ago

the bunny that visited my yard in the middle of winter gnawed off the bark of my young apple trees eventually killing the tree. Is the bark sweet? I don't know. It eventually felt so comfortable in my yard that it had little bunnies in a nest beneath a lamb's ears plant.

I suppose if you wish to provide food, you could give carrots, cabbage, lettuce, apples, etc.. however do be aware that these will also encourage racoons, mice, rats, squirrels, even skunks to come a visiting.

• dianasan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback. After reading your posts, I realize that feeding it may have further implications. I was thinking that it would leave once autumn came around and I would cut down all the vegetation in my yard. But as ianna mentionned, there are trees and shrubs and my roses which remain and could be prone to damage.

I guess I'll search online for the repellent that you mention, aftermidnight.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!