Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else growing perennial lobelia?

Posted by Mystery_Gardener BC zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 17:57

Three years ago my sister gave me a small clump of perennial scarlet red lobelia. Nice and bright, it encouraged me to find more. The blue, white and purple were grown from seed. The pink and dark red were purchased at a local nursery. The scarlet has completed blooming but I got pics of the others just in time, the season is almost over.

Perennial lobelia blue

Perennial lobelia pink

Perennial lobelia white

Perennial lobelia purple

Perennial lobelia red

We had a fascinating specimen of Lobelia tupa which did not make it through the winter :-( I may try it again if I am able to find it in the future.

Lobelia tupa

Cheers,
MG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else growing perennial lobelia?

Wow! your pictures are really an eyeful! I grew the perennial blue lobelia from seed about 7 or 8 years ago. It is self-seeding itself - not wildly but a few new plants here and there each year. And - the odd one comes out white. A great end of summer perennial. No trouble, no bugs or diseases, just beautiful flowers each year. Now that's what I call a real gem!

o

• Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 22:43

Wow, wow ! Where might Mora find some of those beauties????? M

o

• Posted by kat3 z3AB.Can. (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 11:12

Wow !!! Great pics... Wish I was in a warmmer zone.. All I've had luck with is the red.. Year 3 so far..

o

The blue lobelia is one of my favorite plants, I must look for the white one, I really like that.

o

Dear Onewheeler: I have never seen the white offered for sale separately - it just "happens" when you grow the blue "lobelia syphilitica" - the occasional one comes out white.

o

Shapiro is correct. My neighbour seeded blue lobelia, gave some of them to me and a few came out white. I could try and collect some seed if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
MG

o

Thanks for that tip. I have lots of the blue ones, they sure are pretty this time of year, plus there must be 40 or 50 seedlings hanging around in the flower beds, hopefully I will get some white ones, I really like them. I wonder if the white ones would come true from seed. Have you tried it and if it does then perhaps I will take you up on your offer for some seeds next spring. Thanks.

Valerie

o

I didn't realize there was a perennial lobelia. These are lovely, and I think I like the Blue one best. What time of year do they flower? I assume they don't flower all summer like the annual one... and where can one get seeds for these. What name would I look for please.
Joan

o

Perennial Lobelias are also considered bog plants. Does it mean it is possible to plant them in the water? Wouldn't they rot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here