Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamahoohoo

Weed identification help?

mamahoohoo
13 years ago

Last year I got a load of manure/topsoil mix. It was sold as "weed free", but that's another load of manure entirely. ;)

Anyway, it has weeds that I've never seen before. Most of it isn't very exciting - pigweed with leaves the size of my hands, exciting new goosefoot-type things, and more wild mustard than I care to mention. Curiosity is killing me on a couple though. They both stayed pretty small until the end of July (one of them even managed to hide beneath the snap peas without being seen), then grew a couple feet each in the week while I was on vacation.

This one looked like one of the wild sunflowers that dot the roadsides, so I originally let it be because bees love them, and there is a frightening lack of pollinators this year, probably because of all the water this spring. Anyway, the best I can figure is it's giant ragweed, but the leaves are completely different from any pictures I can find of it - these ones aren't lobed at all, and really look more like sunflower leaves. You can imagine my surprise when my 2 foot tall sunflowers turned into 8 foot tall monsters in a week. By the time I had a chance to cut it down, it was 10 feet tall. The stalks are not hollow. And the leaves smell when they're crushed. I can't place the smell exactly, but they remind me of markers or paint thinner or something.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4nS1DaRb8hI/TGmr-OIE9nI/AAAAAAAAALE/KsnGSGdsapQ/isthisragweed.JPG

The other one has a growth habit similar to chinese lantern, and gets the little cherry in the husk. The difference is that the flowers are purple and about 3cm across, and the pods and berry are boring beige. Of course when I wanted to take pictures, there wasn't a single flower open. One was hiding last year and I didn't find it until just before it snowed. Right now it's about 4 feet tall. I DO plan to pull it if it ever stops raining for long enough to get near it without being swallowed by mud. Sorry for the crappy pic, I couldn't get close and my camera didn't want to focus on any identifiable parts.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4nS1DaRb8hI/TGmr-AlKHbI/AAAAAAAAALI/tayS4mD-7Cs/mysteryweed.JPG

Thanks,

Vikki

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus