Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I save seeds from my beans

Posted by brendall z5 que (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 18:01

I grew green beans this year and would like to save the seeds for next year. Do I just keep a few of the beans and let them dry out? Or leave them on the vine till fall,I only have saved the seeds from one plant and I am not sure what to do.
I will gladly share seeds with anyone once I know how.
brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I save seeds from my beans

• Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 18:39

Hi Brenda, I would let one of your beans mature until the pod explodes and the seeds are going to drop. Gather and store in a coolish temp, Anyone else have an idea?M

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 20:43

I, too, would leave some beans on your plant until they change colour and mature. An old nylon stocking can be slipped over the bean, so that you don't lose the seed. As suggested, gather and store in a coolish temperature. Don't forget to label. LOL

o

I saved about 10 different kinds of seeds this year including some blue lake beans. Surprisingly they were my biggest challenge. Those that matured wanted to rot but I did get a few. Wait until the pods turn brown. The pod will hold the seeds. You don't need the stocking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here