Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizcupcake

Vines in Ontario

mizcupcake
14 years ago

My DH has just built an arbor as the entrance to our new deck. The arbor is about 12' off the ground and we plan on planting 'something' on both sides of this so it will be directly in ground but have the option of a 'cedar flower box' if necessary.

I would like something that is fast growing but not aggressive, flowers a must, would like variegated foliage if possible but just a wish! LOL

This is a full sun location.

Any suggestions from experienced gardeners in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brenda

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Not from your area but two possibilities are Actinidia kolomikta 'Arctic Beauty' for the colored foliage, I think it's hardy in your area. It does have lemon scented flowers but they are hidden under the leaves, you could also grow a Clematis through it. Akebia quinata is another that comes to mine, it also has scented flowers.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Actinidia

• northerner_on
    14 years ago

Brenda, if you really would like something stunning, you could use a climbing rose with a clematis running through it. It would take about a year to get it established. There is beautiful vine called Silver Lace Vine (not wild cucumber) that should be hardy in your area. It grows very quickly, with white fragrant blooms. Then of course there's honeysuckle, but this can get a bit woody and unruly after a while. Hope this helps.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I as well am looking at vines to grow on an arbor in Barrie Ontario

Was hoping to hear more suggestions

I might just try for a year of two, sweet peas. Annual they are but can grow quite full if the location is right for them. Colourful and fragrant possibly as well.

I was thinking of a Clematis for the long term

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Variegated porcelain berry is moderately fast growing and has beautiful turqoise berries in the fall. The flowers are not that noticeable. If growing this vine I would grow a vigorous clematis through it for spring/summer bloom. The green-leaf form of porcelain berry is becoming a pest species in the wild. I don't think the varigated form is a threat as it is much less vigorous and the seeds will be variegated plants like the parent. I could be wrong about this. I used to grow both forms of porcelain berry, but I don't recall ever seeing any sedlings of either type.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated porcelain bery

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

dianne v44

If I were you I would go with Jackmani Clematis. Lovely big dark purple flowers that just cover the vine. It's very hardy in our zone so it should do well in yours--in fact it is the hardiest of all clematis.

brenda5b

You really won't go wrong with a climbing rose and clematis combination as northerner on suggested. A white rose with a dark blue, purple or pink Clematis would be stunning--or a red rose with white or pale pink clematis. There are as many combinations as there are varieties of clematis and roses and both are numerous. I would put both in the ground. Perennials don't do well freezing and thawing like they would do in a box. If you want the look of the cedar boxes build them without a bottom and set over the plants.

Clematis likes it's roots shaded anyway so that may be an idea

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I do have that Porcelain vine growing on the back fence

It is now almost two years. Well this is it
    s second summer

I did see it in bloom before purchasing the plant but it has not yet bloomed for me.

This year is growing vigorously. Hoping to see the berries. Hope it is not to vigorous, as you mentioned

The rose and Clematis would be fine. Just sort of thining to try something different, more unique

I am now an older gardener. Have been gardening for years and years it seems

Moved to my current home two years ago with no existing flower beds. Somew trees and the back y ard fenced.
    It has left things open for me to try new ideas and plan, a bit, using knowledge that I have accumulated over years.

Not that I exactly have a detailed plan.The gardens are coming along. And I am for the most part planning and planting with an eye to maintenance in the future.

Not any longer a spring chicken and some days feel it, for sure.

I used to grow a lot of tropicals in the garden and bring them in But I now have a home in Florida and grow that sort of thing there.

Helps quite a bit not bringing in so much in the fall.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Diane

• mizcupcake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I want to thank everyone for the great ideas and think I will try the silver lace vine and a clematis...love the look of both! Will keep you posted!
    Again thanks for your time and replies! Brenda

• ontnative
    14 years ago

brenda5b, just to let you know that silver lace vine is VERY vigorous once it gets going after a few years. It would likely overpower any other vine like clematis if you grow the two vines near each other. Silver lace vine can grow 25 ft. in a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:538522}}

• wmc1
    14 years ago

You will have a lot of mess with silver lace on the deck. Stick with something else plus clematis, a good one is Orange Peel, has nice small yellow flowers and the seed heads look nice all year round. Plus something for it to climb up.

• ianna
    14 years ago

a couple of vines are problematic, the porcelain vines that self seeds and can become weedy and the silver lace vines which again can get messy.

I'm always concerned when people request fast growing vines because inevitably you get a vine that is aggressive. Agressive vines will include wisterias, lace vines and hops. So be careful when trying to make your selection.

Now you could technically grow as many as 2 or 3 different vines in the same location. So the pairing of say roses & clematis are a popular combination. & there are variegated roses (not foliage). You could grow and train a variegated euonymous as a vine too.

On the other end, you could grow yet different types of vines and so technically, you can grow up to 6 forms of vines and isn't that a neat idea.

I like the idea of a woody vine because even in winter these will continue to look good. For these I like to use climbing hydrangea. A vine which has a 3 dimensional look. it can look like a tree as well, but it only flowers in its 3rd year. I also like but haven't used yet, the trumphet vine. It is somewhat a strong grower with good strong trunk line. I do avoid wisteria for obvious reasons.

I do like honey suckles and have these in my yard. The only problem is, it does get mildewy but it hasn't bothered me that much.

• donka
    14 years ago

I do this sort of thing...grow a strong vine like grapes or roses or what have you, and I change it up each year with fast growing annuals. If I was more organized I'd start them indoors but I just plant them directly in the ground and wait. I use morning glories, black eyed susan vines, spanish flag, cypress vines, various types of peas and beans, etc. Some combos have been more successful than others, but I enjoy it :)

• mizcupcake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again many thanks to all of you for your time and trouble
    and the many suggestions!
    I am now thinking of clematis and climbing roses and will keep you posted on how it turns out! Brenda

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

I have to agree that a Silver Lace Vine would be too much. I had one growing into a Maple Tree which did fine but for unknown reason it perished this past winter. This vine was a few years old and beautiful, but I would not place it on an arbor.

For a Clematis I'd like to suggest Ville De Lyon. It is a stunning dark pink/red clematis which reblooms all season. Mine started blooming in June, went down to a few flowers and is sending out another flush. My daughter tried to count the buds yesterday and lost count at 61 and that was on the upper portion of the plant. There is also a flush of buds in the midportion and another in the lower area right now. It has climbed to 12 feet this year. Foliage has good staying power.

Sponsored