Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halaeva

Favorites in your garden

halaeva
17 years ago

I like my Hardy Hibiscus the most.I absolutely love it.This is dark pink moscheutos of a dinner plate size bloom.The plant is over 6'tall.

My second the best is pink Brugmansia, also that tall and fainty fragrant.

What about your favorites?

Comments (7)

• lisa03
    17 years ago

Some of my trees are my favorites, particularly Magnolia sieboldii (it flowers in spring, but then sporadically throughout summer and fall with georgous seedpods and is scented), Stewartia pseudocamillia (again gorgeous at all stages from leaving out, buds, flowers in summer), Cornus controversa variegata and many of my Japanese maples. At ground level I am particularly fond of my cyclamen and arums.

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

Brugmansias get my vote as well. I love the fragrance so much

Canna lilys and Dahlias I must say interest me but unfortunately they all have to be brought inside.

I have been gardening a number of years, and am now retired, (not from gardening) Getting a little wiser, in that I am now making beds of Sedums and Hostas. Not mixed together but in seperate beds. They give beauty, long lasting and yet not so much effort.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Summersweet Clethra 'Ruby Spice' has to be one of my favourite shrubs/plants. Nice shape, no disease or pest problems, and the scent of the flowers is so sweet. In the 'old' days they used to take the flowers and place them in dressers to make the clothes smell good.

Another favourite is Aralia Spinosa, commonly known as 'The Devil's Walking Stick'. Nice growth all summer long with huge sprays of flowers in the fall, then everything drops off the small tree and only the trunk is left for the winter. Careful though, it's a runner!

Hydrangeas of every kind have also become a bit of an obsession. ;)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

If you ask my DH, his favourites are the tropical Hibiscus, Jasmine and the banana. I love my new black Colocasia my Cimicifuga and my Japanese Painted Ferns.

BP

• clairabelle
    17 years ago

I second the Japanese Painted Fern, see you with Hakonechloa ornemental two-toned shade grass and raise you with Hakuro Nishiki salix integra bush!

Other favorites include Sibirica Iris (such a short bloomer, too bad, sigh), Podophylum hexandrum emondi (Himalyan May Apple), Purple Sensation ornemental garlic and Lavender.

• den_vic
    17 years ago

This one is someone else's Y. baccata (mine is smaller). The ultimate deer proof plant on Vancouver Island. Look for yuccas during wintertime if you're in Victoria or visiting. They are easier to spot and if you look closely some are very interesting. Click on full image for zoom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yucca baccata

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

A deer that goes after that Yucca would have to be one suicidal deer!

BP