Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are miniature roses hardy in Montreal?

Posted by winnjoe MTL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 20:34

A coworker got a miniature rose in a pot after illness and gave it away. I stuck it in the front and it is blooming, so I guess it likes where it is. But I know nothing about them. Do I take it in for the winter? or leave it out?
thanks
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are miniature roses hardy in Montreal?

I planted about 6-8 and a couple of years ago and treated them the same as with the regular roses. I covered them with mulch and styrofoam cones. Only 3 survived the winter. The second winter around none of the miniatures survived. I never tried to take them indoors in the fall. Maybe you could try. I didn't because I have a problem with space and have to be very selctive about the plants I return indoors when the weather gets cold.
Maybe we can get some advice from the experts out there.
How are your clivia seedlings doing?

o

• Posted by owbist 6A-Niagara, Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 22:49

My wife likes to buy a couple of those from time to time. Once the blooms are spent we plant them in the garden. They last a couple of years but some do not make the first winter, at the modest cost it is no big loss. The bonus is those that survive and provide another year of enjoyment. We are zone 6A.

o

thanks for the input.
Hi Consentida, after an intitial burst of enthusiasm they have not done anything more. They are exactly the same they were at the end of June. How are yours?

o

I have 3 miniatures I've planted over the last 4 years and they are all doing well. I have them in a bed next to the house.

o

Merrilee, perhaps the fact that you planted them next to the house gives them and extra protection because the sun heats the wall and it reflects unto the earth around it. Good idea. Also you are in zone 6, which could also be a factor.

o

Joe, mine grew a bit more all of them have 1 leaf of about 7 to 10 cms long. What I noticed is that we have different cultivars because some of them are more elongated than others. I still keep them indoors. I don't trust the squirrels! One of these days I will learn how to post pictures in GW and you will see then, so you can give me your opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here