Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noplacelikehomeforsure

Shrubs and vines for north side of 6ft. fence

The area I want to plant is about 10ft. long by 3ft., but is mostly in damp shade.

I had planted four "Moonlight" climbing hydrangeas three years ago, when we moved into this new little house, hoping they would fill in the whole area along the fence,but despite trying to support them by various means, they just were not able to grab onto the wooden fence and climb. I have left two of them in, at each end of the bed, one is in a corner and may be able to climb a little in the next year or two, then maybe take off, but I'm not very hopeful. The other two I have put against a back wall.

At our last house, I had climbing hydrangea "Petiolaris" growing up quite easily against a brick wall in quite a bit of shade. Maybe this variety can climb up a wooden fence more easily than the "Moonlight"?

I have a lacecap hydrangea "Blueird" which is doing reasonably well, and I planted vinca as a ground cover last year, which is still just straggly.

Could anyone suggest suitable shrubs, evergreens, or vines, hopefully with some height, that would cheer up this dreary border!

Apologies for this long-winded post!

Comments (6)

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Some shrubs I've grown in fairly deep shade are:
    - Pyracantha (mine had to be espaliered, but it worked well in pretty deep shade)
    - Lindera benzoin (spicebush) These are doing well in full shade with some dappled sunshine in the morning and early afternoon
    - Itea virginica. Mine is growing slowly in the shade, but doing ok.
    - almost any kind of currant bush, especially Alpine currant, will do ok in the shade
    - My Japanese Kerria are very adaptable to shade and crummy soil
    - I've grown Pieris in fairly deep shade

At our new place there is a 5-foot shrub growing right underneath a Norway Maple tree (!) and this spring, with all the rain, it actually bloomed. I think it is some kind of white-flowering Spirea. Anything that can take the abuse of a Norway maple will live anywhere-- you might want to check those out.

Good luck,

Bev

• orchidguy4ever
    15 years ago

Hiya,
    Some shrubs and vines I have grown in shade is:
    Acer ginnala
    Acanthopanax
    Berberis (especially light green varieties)
    Cotoneaster
    Lonicera cultivars
    Ribes alpinium
    Symphoricarpus
    Amelopsis
    Celastrus
    Aronia
    Cornus florida
    Cornus racemosa
    Euonymus
    Hamamelis
    Hydrange
    Ilex verticillata
    Ligustrum
    Magnolia virginiana
    Rhodotypos
    Viburnum
    Most will do well in a north exposure and ample moisture

• Mystery_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi:

If you are in zone 6 you could try these interesting shrubs.

Calycanthus chinensis (sometimes called Calycanthus sinochinensis)
    Calycanthus floridus

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• noplacelikehomeforsure
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to all of you who very kindly sent me advice.

Tiffy, - yes, I checked at various times of the day, and there is a little dappled sunlight and later in the day a little direct sun.

Bev - your suggestions were interesting - I do like firethorn - I have three at the other end of the garden against a fence and I had just one at our last house. I love kerria, especially the single flowering one. I looked up Itea virginica, and it would be an ideal choice, but the problem is the narrowness of the border, also pieris, which is so pretty.

MG - Your suggestions are lovely, but I don't think they would survive very well in this location. Lots of snow taking a long time to melt in the spring, along with the shade.

Orchidguy4ever - That is quite a list, and thank-you! I will have to google to find their familiar names, I'm embarrassed to say!! Which ones are vines or smallish shrubs?

Thanks again, everyone! What a great forum this is!

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Blossom

That was an intersting question you asked and I am impressed with all the names of thse plants. WIll look some up as well as I have a fence that needs some growth on it as well

I am in a new house, to me, since last year. The only thing I have growing on the fence just now, are half a dozen clematis that I put in this spring

Will see how they overwinter. I haven't staked them, or trellised , yet as I will wait and see which ones make it and which don't.

But I would like to grow more things on the fence. I have fencing on three sides of the back yard and back onto a little wooded area.

Appreciate as well the list.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor