Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I over winter a Passion Flower Vine?

Posted by sank_chew_airy z2 Sask (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 23:54

I purchased a Passion Flower Vine and would like to winter it over in the house. It is a fairly large plant. Do you have any suggestions as to how I should do this?

Should I replant it into a new soil mixture and not keep it in the potting/peat mixture it came in? What type of soil does the PF Vine require? Does the Passion Flower vine need regular fertilizing or is a good organic mixture with yearly replenishment sufficient? Is the watering and sun requirements similiar to the Mandevilla Vine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I over winter a Passion Flower Vine?

hello airy
what works for me.....i cut the plant back...alot....and water root some of the cuttings to get more plants...
i keep the plants in the basement with a fair amount of light,not alot though...they continue to grow and i just trim them when they get a certain size....
early spring,i start to fertilize and increase light and heat....again,this is what i do...others might have success
doing different things....good luck
diggy

o

Hi, diggy

Since I haven't the faintest idea what to do, I will do it your way!! Sounds reasonable to me! LOL

Let me think... I will water root the cuttings upstairs to get more plants, (just in case), put the main plant at the mercy of my son in the basement, threaten not to feed him if he doesn't look after the plant, (that ought to do it), and hope for the best!

Thanks a whole bunch for the tips!!

Yep! I will probably need that "Good Luck" you sent me!

airy

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 9:45

I had a passion flower vine growing in a planter last summer. I overwintered by digging it out and transplanting into a smaller pot. I had to cut back the top growth of the vine a bit as it was a tangled mess.

I kept in a bright window and watered enough, but not over watered (it's not actively growing in winter). Didn't fertilize until spring. In spring it started to resume growth and I put it back outside (after gradually getting it used to sunlight again, similar to how you do with annuals).

By the way, my passion vine hasn't bloomed at all this summer. I am wondering if it's due to the cool, cloudy, crummy summer, or if it's because I planted directly into the ground - maybe it's making roots at the expense of blossoms and likes to be root bound in order to bloom best?

Last year it bloomed quite a bit for a small vine, in fact that's the reason I bought it, it was already blooming at the garden centre.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here