Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
den_vic

Take Windmill palm tree seedlings in Victoria, BC

den_vic
17 years ago

I have thousands of Trachycarpus fortunei palm seeds to get rid of in the Greater Victoria area. I have visitors digging out palm tree seedlings from under the mature Windmill palms in my old garden. But they only grab them a dozen at a time. I planted thousands of seeds to get control over ground vinca. Now what to do with crowded palm tree seedlings. I expect gardeners to continue digging them out this winter. I have that many in the crazy experiment. But it's not the first one in Victoria. I suggest a cool greenhouse at seedling stage. Some seedlings are two years old. Some seeds did not germinate until the first seedlings were removed. A second wave of sparse palms have risen this spring. Some seeds can take winter soil saturation and last two years.

After talking to a gardener who had someone steal his palm seeds I decided to give out thousands of seeds instead of wasting them. People actually purchase seeds on the Internet. Geez, Victoria you have them right here. Just grab them from me.

Note to gardeners in southwestern British Columbia:

When you cut away the old fronds I suggest that you cut of the leaf from the petiole and use the petiole as sticks for the garden. I use petioles to mark veggie seed plantings. Or to hold tomato plants. Make use of your trees. Prune now or in spring.

Enjoy your fall & winter gardening season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria, BC Palm tree seeds & seedlings