Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacislove

Japanese Flowering Cherry

LilacIsLove
12 years ago

Hello All.

I bought some Japanese flowering cherry tree seeds online in spring, and I've been trying to germinate them to no avail. Later I looked at reviews for this business, and it seems this is a common problem with their seeds.

Does anyone know of somewhere reliable that I can get seeds/seedlings of this tree?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (7)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Sorry, to say this, but whoever sold you seeds of 'Japanese flowering cherry' was pulling a fast one. Firstly, most JFC are doubles which do not produce seed. Secondly, if it was a single and thus capable of producing seed there is no way of telling what the babies will look like. Apart from being pretty sure they will not look like your mental image of a JFC. Thirdly, there is a huge number of Japanese flowering cherries, which all look different and all have names. If you seriously want a Japanese flowering cherry for your garden you need to do some research and buy a named cultivar as a young tree. Named varieties will all be grafted, not seedlings. If, on the other hand, you just want the fun of growing from seed I would sow them in pots and leave them outdoors over the winter. You never know what you might find next spring. And in about five to ten years you might even get some flowers (probably single and white.)

• Martalan
    12 years ago

Do not allow the embryo dry,if you can sow right away when you got them from the tree,that's much better.Cause this can improve the seeds'germination.
    Here have one website,you can clink it and find what you want: http://www.ljzhm.com/?bdclkid=M4__JM88-uv14M4MtqdVDa2jwSkK0gsDNM15H-Zy93JP

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, thanks for the info. I do have the leftover seeds in the fridge, and I think I'll try growing them just for kicks. The particular tree I'm looking for is the Weeping Yoshino Cherry Tree. I've been doing some searching but I can't find a nursery in Canada that has it, or any similar. I can't find any that ship to Canada either. If anyone knows where to get one please tell me!
    Thanks!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Now you know which cultivar you are after try searching for Prunus x yedoensis 'Shidare Yoshino' or Prunus x yedoensis 'Pendula' and see if you can find a supplier in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your tree

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's the problem. I can't find a supplier in Canada. I've done every google search I can think of. I was hoping someone here knew of one. Or at least one that delivers to Canada.

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I think I found one, FINALLY! Thanks for all your advice!

• kanuk
    12 years ago

Hi LilacIsLove
    You don't say where in Canada you're from but I will give you a link to a wonderful garden centre in Montreal that carries prunus subhirtella pendula, royal burgundy, amanogawa & kwanzan amongst other varieties.
    The site is in French or English. Don't know if they ship or if you are close enough to make a trip to visit the place.
    Hope this is helpful to you. (search prunus when on the site)
    Happy New Year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus varieties Montreal

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz