Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftygardener_gw

Red Lily Beetle over winter questions

Crafty Gardener
16 years ago

I had the red lily beetle on a clump of my lilies this past summer. I treated it by picking and squishing and also dusting with Sevin powder, which seemed to get rid of them. They certainly weren't visible in the second half of the summer.

Questions ...

Should I dig my lily bulbs, remove all dirt and see if there are traces of the beetle and then replant the bulbs elsewhere this fall?

When I dig the bulbs will I be able to find the red lily beetle in the ground? How deep do they go to overwinter?

If I did find them would digging the dirt out and getting rid of it help?

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments (6)

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I have read that one of the way in which they have spread is on the bulbs themselves, so I gather that it's possible for them to go that far down (my bulbs are usually several inches down). But I have also read that they are usually only found in the top inch or two of soil... I have only ever found one beetle in the soil (it was pretty obvious, with its bright red colour), and it was only a half an inch deep. I only remove the top two inches of soil, but I do 'look around' a bit deeper.

They still occasionally make their way into my yard though - the neighbourhood has tons of lilies and the beetles have been established around Montreal for over 50 years so there are also tons of beetles. Removing (or sifting) the soil won't solve the problem, but is another tool in the war :-)

BP

• diane_v_44
    16 years ago

I never knew the beetles had been around such a long time

They sure are a huge job to control.
    Bonniepunch what is going on at the Montreal Botanical Gardens just now
    Thinking to take a drive there next week

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

diane - The beetles have been around the Montreal area for that long but they didn't spread out until fairly recently - there was another, bigger, introduction several years ago (I can't remember exactly how many years - ten to fifteen I guess?). I don't have too much of a problem with them, but I do patrol every day and I only have a couple of dozen lilies (and they're in pots so I can easily lift them up to look closely).

I'm not too sure what's going on at the botanical gardens plant-wise right now, but they have their Chinese lanterns up. They're always amazing (it's usually packed on the weekends though). I'm pretty sure their dahlias should still be putting on a good show, and it's possible the lotuses are still looking good. We normally go almost every weekend, but this summer has been chaotic (DH has been dealing with medical problems and we had a not so minor disaster in our bathroom), so we have only been a couple of times :-( If you do drive up and want a 'tour guide', give me a shout - I'm more than happy to do so!

BP

• Crafty Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your reply Bonnie. I'm going to dig some of the soil this weekend and see what I find. I'm sure it can't hurt to try to see if I can eliminate some more before winter sets in.
    I did move some lilies to pots last year and I'm hoping they are okay. I will sink the pot into the ground over the winter and take it out again next spring.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I'm doing mine this week too, while the weather is nice - how much it helps seems to be debatable, based on what I have read, but it sure as heck won't hurt. They should be fine overwintering like that - it's basically how I do mine and I've never lost one because of the cold (squirrels on the other hand...).

BP

• claubill
    16 years ago

It sounds like an Asian Lily Leaf Beetle infeststion.

These little buggers wiped all our lilies except for daylilies.

I tried Rotodone but didn't keep at it. We eventually got rid of the lilies.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm