Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglasont

Cold Hot Corner

douglasont
16 years ago

Not sure if this is orthodox... I, a Canadian, wanted to post a pic. can't do that here, so it is in the 'gallery' of Landscape Design Forum. I would appreciate those interested, to have a look and comment.

Canadian, lost in a plethora of forum topics,

D

Comments (3)

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I don't understand why you can't post your picture here. Do you mean because there isn't a gallery? Just include your picture in your post.
    I looked at your picture in the landscape gallery though. Seems like you've made good choices for durable plants in there. You might like to try posting your question on the perennial forum. The people there are more likely to give you specific plant choices than the landscape forum. Just use the main discussion forum. The galleries don't get as much activity IMO.
    Another idea is to research boulevard gardens. Here's a link for one:
    http://www.boulevardclub.guelph.org/

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

Here's a quick link to the post in the landscape forum.

Garden design is kind of a personal thing - different people will prefer different looks for the same spot. You'll have to be careful what you plant there - a spot like that is awfully tempting for thieves. Anything too unique or expensive is going to take a walk. If that were my yard, I would replace the terra cotta with mulch (not the big pieces of decorative bark, but the shredded stuff that will break down and improve the soil).

The plants you have there are good ones. My initial thought would be that bulbs would be a good thing to plant there, but that close to the sidewalk, on a corner... People will pick the flowers. If you want something low growing but tough, and with a little colour, then something like Dianthus or Armeria might be good. I'm a big fan of ornamental grasses in areas that you want to give a different look to, and their lack of pretty flowers means they don't get targeted by thieves as much. Black mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus) might do well there and provide a different look than usual (it should be hardy for your zone, but try a only couple of plants first, just in case). If you want something tall, maybe some other ornamental grasses would do. Bluestem Nursery has tons of different sorts.

And about posting pictures... You're not supposed to post pictures to this forum, but because it lacks a gallery, many people do post them on occasion (I do it). As long as you keep the size reasonable and don't post huge numbers of them, the mods seem to be willing to allow this violation of the rules to pass. I have seen people banned before when they've posted dozens of photos though, so it is a good idea not to post too many photos :-)

BP

• ianna
    16 years ago

Let's see, low or no maintenance front corner yard.

I like your choice of stonecrop sedums. -- Get more of it.

I like the idea of ornamnental (clumping grasses). These pair well with stonecrop sedums. You can further enhance the look by adding purple coneflowers and russian sage. Both low maintenance and very hardy.

Blue fescues which you have are very hardy and low maintenance. All you need to do is give them a haircut every now and then. Best to put to the front of the yard.

Euonymous and cotoneasters are low maintenance but will require periodic pruning. You should try to maintain a shape for them.

I agree with your choice to remove yarrow. It gets too large too quick.

Re the evergreen on the yard, it's a spreading sort I think. Becomes a bit shapeless in time. Perhaps you can try to give them some shape by pruning or simply replace them with other evergreens.

What else --- Lavenders will do well in a dry location. They don't like being too wet so soil must be fast draining.

You could carpet the area with creeping thyme.

If you hate the broken terracotta, remove them and replace with natural mulching. I do not recommend using those hot red mulching nor those black mulching materials. These look terrible. Go natural.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions