Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tea58

Can I Plant Potted Chrysanthemums

tea58
17 years ago

I have some beautiful pots of mums and I`m wondering if I can plant them after they have bloomed and finished here in my area where the zone is 5? All I know is that if it is possible, the best would be in a sheltered area. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by this new gardener.

If it`s not a good idea, would putting them in a shed keep them and would I have to water them every day there? The shed has no windows.

tea...dreaming of a little green house...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea and Margaritas In My Garden

Comments (6)

• ianna
    17 years ago

They wouldn't survive winter in Zone 5. You could keep them indoors for the duration but do prepared that they will look scraggly. They do need sunlight so a shed with no heat and no light isn't a good area. That sort of treatment is for plants that can grow from corms or bulbs and stay dormant during winter. While indoors, water sparingly. Water so that the soil is moist but not overwhelmingly damp. water only when the soil goes dry.

PS I like your sense of gardening. It's how I started enjoying my English Cottage garden. In my case, I prefer to use broken pottery for garden decors. Re the brick wheel you made, I suggest surrounding it with thyme spilling out of the gaps.

• Freda
    17 years ago

Actually I live in zone 5a and have grew mums outdoors in my garden for many years.
    I planted one a couple years ago that came from the florist shop and it is still surviving but just starting to get buds now which I think was caused because I moved it this year to another spot in my garden.

• brendall
    17 years ago

I have 3 that wintered over the past 2 years. I just thru leaves over it and they lasted .The sales person told me they wouldnt. They get bigger and better each year.

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

I have better luck with the ones I plant in the spring, but I've almost always gotten at least one extra season out of my fall mums.

I would plant them now, and just let them bloom in their new home. The will also put out some new roots. Once they have finished blooming, let them grow for a while. I would mulch them only after the first freeze - November? December?. The mulch helps to prevent the heaving that causes the loss of many plants.

The best place is in a sunny, well drained location, NOT crammed into a space that has lots of plant material to shade it, eg under existing shrubs.

Oh, and to encourage great blooms, don't forget to cut them back in Mid June and mid July.

Hope this helps. I'm currently about to enjoy mums planted over the last 6 years.

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

I have a former potted mum that I planted 6 years ago. I do nothing to it, other than pruning. It gets flowers every year.

Some are hardy, some aren't. They should be labelled, but even if they aren't, it is worth a try to see if one you like will survive.

• ianna
    17 years ago

Well some mums seems to be survivors. I'll double back on what I said and say give it a try. But mulch it well. In specific zones, there are microclimates which keeps that plant warmer. What is zone 5 in one area isn't the same as the zone 5 in another area. It's meant as a general guide. The mums will need to be dugged in soil and topped with good mulching. It should also be located in a protected area like near a wall where winds and winters heaves and thaws don't ravage them. This is simply what's termed as zonal denial. (Like in Vancouver they are planting bananas & palm trees)

Good luck.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH