Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New plantings?

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 8:31

Good morning everybody. I always like to try some new plants in my window boxes, planters, etc. This year I grew 'Lemon Kiss' Gazania which I really liked. I also grew Alternantha for the first time. Great foliage plant. The other one I tried new was 'Bullseye' geraniums from William Dam seeds. They get the same dark foliage as the 'Black Velvet' series but are perhaps a bit shorter. The flowers on these reminded me of Godetia. I think I will plant these plants each year - until I find something new! What did you plant that you will keep in your garden from now on? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New plantings?

I don't plant too many annuals anymore (ran out of space), but I always grow Cosmos sulphureus. This year I tried some deep red nasturtiums - they've got some patches so deep red they're almost black. I stupidly threw out the envelope, so I don't recall the name or company :-( They're gorgeous though!! I plan on seeing if the seeds grow true next year - probably not, but worth a try.

BP

o

Bonnie,
I grew the Cosmos Sulphureus for the first time this year and love them. That orange and bright yellow is right up my alley. Will do them again next year for sure.

Marric,
I discovered California Poppies this year and won't ever forget to plant them in the gardens in the years to come. Wonderful bright little troopers they are. Going to try other colours next year. This year I had the orange. Oh, I'll keep them, but must try others now that I know I love this plant.

I usually suck at container gardening, but this year winter sowed some Tagetes Marigolds and they did so well in a pot on the deck that my daughter decided to release one of the Monarchs we raised right on the flowers. Makes for a nice photo!

Photobucket

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 20:28

I forgot to mention that I also planted cosmos. I planted Sensation Pink and Sensation Red. Sensation pink has been flowering it's little head off for the past month. The Red Sensation isn't even budding up! Both were winter sowed. It's the first time I planted cosmos and will probably keep them. Do they reseed easily? Looks like I'll only get seeds from the pink. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here