Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianasan_gw

Anyone planting more bulbs this fall?

dianasan
13 years ago

Canadian Tire is selling a package of 40 (!) Angelique tulip bulbs (size 10/11) for $12.99. Vessey's sells them at 6/$7.95 (size 12).

I also got a bag of 60 Tulipa Van Eijk for $15.99 and 20 Anemones de Caen for $3.99.

There's a great selection of other tulips, daffodils, etc.

Comments (11)

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I planted some Angelique tulips last fall that I bought at the CNE. They are gorgeous! You will love them.
    Were there any alliums at CT?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

There are alliums at Walmart. I bought some daffodils there - a bag of 40. Not sure what the price was - maybe 9.99.

• xaroline
    13 years ago

Do watch the sizes on the bulbs which you buy as some of the bulk packs are too small. I like tulip bulbs and daffodil bulbs to be 12cm or higher.
    And I really like 14cm tulip bulbs because they give such large flowers in spring.
    Home Depot and Rona bring in bulbs also. The Garden Centers do too.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Our local Home Depot has fall bulbs in now. Some of the bulk tulips and daffs are only about $0.25 each, but they are on the smaller side. The bigger bulbs are quite a bit more money.

• dianasan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forty daffodils for $9.99 is a great price, better than at Canadian Tire. I'll have to go pick some up at Walmart.

The bulbs I got at CT are just slightly smaller than the ones from Vesseys, but I plant them in drifts so I don't mind that they're not as large.

• dianasan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

swontgirl, good to know Angeliques look as beautiful in the garden as in the catalogues. I've been eyeing them for several years now. I have other peony-flowered tulips, but none in the color of Angeliques.

Sorry, I don't remember seeing any Alliums.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I probably will. Last year's flowers were a bit wanting, need to add to them.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

I like to pick up some extra bulbs to force over the winter, narcissus, crocus, iris 'Harmony', and sometimes hyacinths and/or tulips. However, I almost always wait until they go on sale, since I'm too cheap to pay full price.

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

Do you not have a problem with squirrels digging up the tulip bulbs

I plant lots of daffodil or narcissus in my garden beds. Each year more, this being my fourth fall in this property Hesitate to plant tulips as the squirrels tend to go for them.

Tulips are so tempting but I try to stay away from looking at them
    Actually I have a bed in the front right along the sidewalk and all 60 feet across.
    There are lots of bulbs in it and in spring, last spring, it was looking good. That big sweep of yellows in spring looks good.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I've read of a suggestion to plant the daffodil bulbs on top of the tulip bulbs. The squirrels won't go for the daffs so they don't get at the tulips.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Around here, the squirrels really go for the crocus bulbs, but generally leave the tulips alone.

I got some cyclamen, clusiana tulips and some mini narcissus for my shaded rock garden. The daffs gradually deteriorate (due to lack of sun to ripen the bulb leaves). but they look good for several years.