Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Can Datura/Brugs be composted safely?

wendy2shoes
17 years ago

I have so much plant material from these (brug cuttings aside), and wonder if the chopped up leaves and stalks are o.k. to compost. I'm building a 'lasagna' bed for veggies and don't want to end up with psychotropic tomatos and zuccini. Any thoughts?

Comments (3)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I can't find the reference anymore, but I once read that the only factor that would mean you can't compost these plants is if they were exposed to heavy metals (apparently they accumulate them a bit). The toxic alkaloyds break down. And in any event they naturally occur in tomatoes. Zukes are psycho anyway :-)

BP

• jroot
    17 years ago

Wendy,

It's that time of year, isn't it.

Yes, indeed, you can compost your brugs and daturas. Be sure they are in a hot compost. The heat from normal composting will help destroy anything that you are concerned about. I have to leave mine longer, as my compost bin / pile are not in the sun, but in the bush, so I leave mine about 3+ years. If your bin/pile is in the sun ( where it should be) then you don't need to worry.

Good talking to you again.

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

I have never had a problem composting brugmansia and datura plants.
    I just pile these and most everything right in my vegetable gardens. In several piles and throw dirt over the bunch.
    Sometimes before the big winter freeze I can cut the piles up further and they are hardly even noticeable.

Amazing how things compost. My soil here is sandy loam, gorgeous soil. Sun really warms it up