Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall bloomers in z. 5b

Posted by ontnative 5b/USDA 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 11:28

These are some of the plants blooming in my southern Ontario city garden this week, zone 5b, clay soil, part shade and usually on the dry side.

Anemone hybr. 'Andrea Atkinson' (single white)
Anemone hybr. 'Pamina' (dbl. dark pink)
Anemone tomentosa robustissima
Astilbe chinensis pumila
Arctanthemum arcticum 'Red Chimo'
Aster 'Monch'
Aster cordifolius
Aster divaricatus
Aster laevis e.g. 'Bluebird'
Aster nov.ang. eg. 'Alma Potschke', 'Harrington's Pink', 'Purple Dome'
Aster nov.belg. eg. 'Prof. Kippenberg'
Aster oblongifolius eg. 'October Skies'
Aster oolentangiensis
Aster pilosus
Aster shortii
Aster turbinellus
Aster umbellatum
Aster urophyllus
Aster vimineus

Callirhoe involucrata
Chelone lyonii
Colchicum 'Waterlily', 'The Giant' (hardy bulbs)
Corydalis lutea (everblooming spring to frost)

Dendranthemum 'Mary Stoker'

Eupatorium dubium 'Little Joe'
Eupatorium maculatum 'Gateway'
Eupatorium purpureum 'Purple Bush'

Gaura 'The Bride' (very long-blooming 4' white)
Geranium 'Ann Folkard'
Geranium 'Rozanne', 'Jolly Bee'

Helianthus 'Lemon Queen'
Heterotheca villosa ssp. villosa (yellow 4')
Heuchera 'Chantilly'
Heuchera villosa, H.villosa purpurea

Oregano 'Herrenhausen'

Phlox paniculata (several cultivars, almost finished blooming)

Rudbeckia fulgida, several cultivars/natives
Rudbeckia hirta eg. Indian Summer, etc
Rubbeckia triloba

Sedum 'Autumn Fire', 'Hester'

Solidago bicolor
Solidago caesia
Solidago flexicaulis
Solidago nemoralis
Solidago rigida
Solidago rugosa eg. 'Fireworks'
Solidago sempervirens
Solidago sphacelata eg. 'Golden Fleece'

STILL TO BLOOM:

Allium 'Ozawa'
Aster nov.ang. 'Hella Lacey'
Chrys./Dendr. 'Hillside Sheffield'
Chrys./Dendr. 'Mei-Kyo'
Physostegia 'Vivid'

To make it easier (for me) I have listed all aster-types under aster and all solidago-types under solidago. Many of these have new-fangled, unpronouncible scientific names.

If you're looking for fall bloomers, don't forgot the ornamental grasses, both native and non-native. They contribute a lot to the overall look of a fall garden. In recent years I have added Colchicum bulbs to poke through groundcover such as low sedum. They are squirrel-proof, and look beautiful planted near, but not through, Aster Woods Pink.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall bloomers in z. 5b

Don't forget, roses are still in bloom. lavenders still are going strong, annual sages, gaillardias, coleus are also blooming which look nice. my rudbeckia goldsturm are still blooming despite that some are dying out.

Ianna

o

And don't forget hardy hibiscus and Russian sage. Woody material is important to mix into perennial gardens - heptacodium is wonderful for its fall flowers and viburnums with showy fruit are a great addition too. 'Pink Beauty' potentilla is still producing some flowers, although it's not as prolific as in previous months. 'Queen Elizabeth' rose is a stunning, disease resistant bloomer into late October - every garden should have one!. (Unfortunately, it's out of this picture on the right...)
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Does anyone know where to get Solidago 'Golden Fleece' by mail order in Canada? Every nursery I've checked with here in Ottawa is horrified at the thought of ANY goldenrod!

o

Hi ontnative,
This is a big long list! You must have a beautiful show.How about posting photos?
I would be more than happy to see them.Thank you for posting that list.
Hala.

o

Heritage Perennials market Solidago 'Golden Fleece' in Canada, but I'm not sure off-hand where you can get it by mail-order here.
I don't do pictures yet, but I may get my DH to take some and show me how to put them on photobucket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here