Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karewren

Amending soil - Part II (Meadow garden)

karewren
17 years ago

Thank you everyone for helping me with my Meadow garden. I must say - just getting your feedback was enough to get beyond the overwhelmedness of the project and get back to work. I'd like to include the before and after pics to show you more clearly where I'm at, but sadly I can't figure out how to insert into this text box...

So I'll try to describe it best I can: I finished planting my poppies, seeds, and goldenrod. I did not touch the dirt/rocks elsewhere (no "scratching in" of amendments). Then I soaked what newprint I had around the house (only about a four or five page thicknesses over the entire area) and laid it out over the slope. I did read up on both the topics of Lasagna gardening and mulching on a slope; and really just put the newspaper down to a) mark my territory (I'm only doing 1/3 of the slope this year) and b) to subconsciously assuage my desire to "create" happy, nutritious soil underneath. That took me until dark, so by morning I had to rewet it again. Then I sprinkled peat moss over the wet newpaper. Lasagna gardens suggest 2-3 inches of peatmoss. I didn't even get a millimetre of it on there. Basically, it was just enough to make the slope look brown again. I continually misted the peatmoss to get it moist but not enough to create any streams 'a flowin. Then I gingerly sprinkled on "composted cedar bark mulch" - it smells amazing!!. (I took back the large pine bark nuggets, as BP suggested.)

Yes, I do live near Halifax, across the pond actually in Dartmouth. And I found the mulch for $2.99 a 12 cu ft bag (which seemed like an incredibly good price to me, considering what I had paid previously for my black mulch elsewhere).

However, at this point I'm starting to get a little nervous again.... As you would be able to see in the non-existent pics, there are a few spots near the top of the slope where the grade is pretty much completely vertical. I tried pressing the mulch into the near vertical grades, but can only imagine what it will look like by Wednesday (the forecast is calling for rain). In my reading on mulching slopes one guy suggested having put burlap down first. But unfortunately I read that after the fact, and besides, I was trying to spend as little extra money on this project as possible.

At this point, I don't plan on doing any more planting this year. Next spring I will throw down my wild flower seeds (do I simply toss them ontop of the mulch or do I move the mulch aside and scratch them into the dirt?) and I will build a "terrace" for a lovely Japanese Maple (yes, from what I read, they do have fairly shallow roots - is that a good or bad thing for my rocky "retaining wall" slope?) And next year, once things have settled nicely in place I will add either some "stepping" places (although, it's not too bad naturally) or maybe a nice rustic looking feeder.

So far I only have about an inch of mulch down. I will continue that process for a couple more inches. But how do I get it to stick to the vertical areas and what happens in the rain? I mean, I do see mulched slopes all over the city (drive along Mt. Edward road, for example... well, the whole city is built on a slope for that matter); so I know it's possible. But do I have to cover it for a season until it compresses into place or what?

And while I'm at it.... the reason I bought the peat moss in the first place four months ago was because I was describing my swamp of a lawn to the lady at the garden centre and she said to add some peat moss to my lawn. So I bought it and did some research about soil improvement and it explained that PM helps with moisture retention. Well, if my problem is that my lawn is too wet, why would I want to add an ingredient that will help with water retention? And given the 45 degree angle that my yard is sloped at in the first place, why on earth do I have a wet lawn at all (law of gravity, what goes up must come down????)

Finally, any suggestion (aesthetics or technical) on how to finish off the slope.... the sharp grade at the bottom that comes down to meet the lawn (which currently is either bare or has tufts of horse grass and weeds on it) and the very top that meets my neighbour's fence that is also very sharp of a grade and is also either bare or has tufts of grass and weeds growing out of it. I was afraid to pull out some of the most resistant vining roots up there for fear the whole hill would avalanche. Can I spray the inbedded root with some kind of weed killer or will that adversely affect the flowers I planted.

Thank you again for your help. It is so great that people are willing to share their own experience, triumphs, and trials to us beginners!!! Karen

Comments (5)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have to keep reminding yourself that this won't be a quick project. Since you're starting from scratch on a difficult area, I'd guess this will take several years of trial and error to get a look you're happy with. The stepping areas and feeders/birdbath are great ideas.

There isn't much point in adding a lot of mulch to an area that you're not ready to plant yet - certainly add an inch or two, if you think it'll stay there. It will break down and the soil will be better when you get to planting the area, but until you get some rooted plants into that area the new soil and the mulch will erode a bit.

I wouldn't pull up the weeds - their roots will help stabilize the area until you're ready to tackle it. You can dump some mulch on them and it'll help kill off the bits growing above ground without removing the roots. If you spray with Round Up (might not be allowed anymore in Halifax area?) that will kill off the weeds without removing the roots, but... Round Up takes a few days to a few weeks to break down, and you've got a slope where the rain will run down and wash that stuff onto your lawn or other plants. Might not be a wise idea :-) I would just dump mulch onto them a couple of times a year and gently pull out what is really loose. It takes longer, but you are solving the poor soil problem that way too. In general I am not a fan of herbicides and pesticides since almost all problems they are used for can be sloved with better cultural practices or gardening techniques.

I don't know if this would work for you, but if you want to add a lot of mulch right now, and have it stay put, you could place chicken wire or hardware cloth over the mulch (pin the chicken wire to the ground with stakes). A heavy rain might erode some of it, especially in the steeper parts, but it would help a bit at least.

About your seeds you plan to use next spring - a word of caution. Seeds are a great way to fill up the slope quickly and without breaking the bank, but stay away from the generic 'wildflower' mixes you can get in Canadian Tire and places like that. They contain a lot of weedy seeds and very few seeds of plants you actually want to have growing there. Buy a good quality wildflower mix - it won't be that much more expensive and it'll be a major improvement over the cheaper stuff.

Seeds can wash away fairly easily, so you might want to consider laying down some thin jute or burlap to sow them in or under (that protective burlap you get to wrap shrubs in the winter would work). Sow then as soon as the snow melts. Or you could wintersow them (or some of them) in containers and plant the resulting seedlings in your nooks and crannies.

The Japanese Maple being shallow rooted might be a problem if you were planting it directly on the slope. Shallow rooted plants will have a harder time staying put on a slope, but if you build it a nice sized terrace, then it might be perfect. Select one that is hardier than would normally be necessary for your area because of the cold flowing downhill problem.

You have a swampy lawn huh? That's a drainage problem. You have neighbours higher up the hill than you do? That's almost certainly where your water is coming from. Peat moss might mop up a bit of water, but I doubt it'd solve your problem. A permanent fix would be to regrade your lawn, but that's not cheap (or have your neighbour regrade his, but that's a lot to ask from a neighbour). You could also install a French drain type of thing to drain the water to a lower lying area or drain - that's cheaper, and a do-it-yourself project if you want, but still a lot of work. You could decide to grow a bog garden in that spot - irises, cannas, lots of neat grasses...

I think your slope provides you with some really neat garden terrain - my 'fantasy garden' always has a nice terraced slope full of plants, but it is going to be more challenging than building 'ye olde generic bed'.

BP

• karewren
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As usual, bonniepunch, your generousity in sharing your wisdom is greatly appreciated....

I googled "french drain" and got an idea to use all of the smooth bluish "river rock" I've been collecting as I dig up my garden plots (dozens and dozens of regular old 'ugly' rocks went to the dump, but for some reason I've been holding on to these pretty ones for an unknown future project).

In the spring, I sat on my shed steps and swore I could hear actual water flowing beneath me - like when I used to live beside a brook!!! I have already added sodd (taken from other areas of the lawn that I'd turned into flower plots) to the especially low dipping areas of the lawn (I'm not sure that it was every graded - neighbours told me that the backyard had been entirely vegetable gardens for decades. I think a recent previous seller just did a quick fix and had some dirt dumped in and raked out. It is full of pot holes and dips.) I won't be able to have it professionally graded, but will continue to add soil and level "by hand". As you mention, this is a long, on-going project; and I certainly won't be starting the drain this year. But will plan ahead for next spring. Thank you for the direction!!

I still need some clarity on a couple of points though: The peat moss - you used the term "mop up a bit of water" which suggests to me that the use of peat moss helps to rid an area of unwanted moisture. How can it do both that and add moisture to dry areas (as in lasagna gardening or just added to make "loamy soil")?

Also, I received a pretty package of "butterfly and hummingbird attracting wild flowers" as a gift. No particular mention of the contents, but the packaging suggests that it was not a cheap seed envelope from Cdn Tire or the like. However, as to how to plant them.... sprinkle on or scratch down into the mulch?

Thanks, Karen

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

This might be too much solution for you, but we had a low spot in our garden at our previous home - properties on either side and from behind sloped towards us. In the spring, with the snow melting, we had a lake there.

We had a pit dug at that spot - about 5 feet deep, and 6 feet wide, 6 feet long.

Filled it with gravel to about 4 feet deep, covered the gravel with some kind of cloth I got by phoning around. Not sure what it's called, but it's white, looks rather like very thick fleece, and is apparently used under highways. I lucked out and got it for free - a remnant from an excavating company.

Anyway, it lets water through and not the soil. Topped that off with a foot of soil and made a raised vegetable garden on top that was about 8 X 8 feet. Grew the best vegetables ever in that spot!!

Good luck!

• casper1
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm sticking my nose in again, there's a new forum on hillside gardening, take a look, you can dream about it over the dormant season. Rai

• karewren
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love this whole forum thing! Love the fact that people I've never even met before bother to take the time to "stick their nose in"! Love it! Never too many solution ideas.

Big rain on Wednesday, the mulch survived beautifully. God bless mother nature and a good twist of fate. The meadow garden is in memory of my sister who died at the end of June. It will hopefully resemble, in time, a smig'en of the "safe place" she envisioned during some of her most painful days.

God bless everyone; and peaceful, restful, dreamful wintering! Karen

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz