Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring bulbs in large containers

Posted by craftygardener ON 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:23

I'm in zone 5b, Ontario ... really cold winters and usually lots of snow. Usually anything left in containers outside over the winter does not grow again in the spring.

I've successfully grown hosta in large pots for a couple of years and stored them in the unheated garage over the winter.

I'm thinking of trying a pot of spring bulbs, stored in the garage over the winter and bought back outside in the spring. The soil will get really hard but not that rock hard freeze that happens to pots left outside all winter.

Has anyone tried doing this successfully?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring bulbs in large containers

• Posted by rosco_p z6a ont.canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 14:02

Crafty; I have had some success with a few bulb types that I have overwintered in my "attached" but unheated garage. I regularly have my Calla lillies stay dormant in their pots over winter as well as elephant ears and both do very well.. I have not tried spring flowering bulbs as tulips etc. HTH Ross.

o

Thanks for the reply Ross. I have Peruvian daffodils that I usually bring inside and store in the well cupboard, maybe I could try them in the garage this year too.

I'm thinking I just might try some spring bulbs, haven't got much to lose but the price of some daffodils or tulips.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

o

I pot up Spring bulbs in Fall and bury the pots in a raised bed for winter.Come Spring they will sprout and I pull up the pots and put them where I want some color.Been doing this for years,always works.

o

Hi Molly, I've done that in the past too, but the pots have always been the smaller ones. This time I want to try a big, big pot ... too big to dig into the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

o

The lilies I've had in containers have done well - it wasn't a huge container, but big enough. I would bury it in the vegetable garden, so easier digging. I've also done tulips but they've never done well - they come up but end up being a bit misshapen or warped. This year, the bulbs in one of the containers rotted and I took the others out and planted them in the ground. I'm not sure if I could overwinter them in the garage in zone 3, though dh keeps it minimally heated because it's his workshop too. And besides, there's no room in there!

o

This should work quite well for you. Just remember to check the pot a few times during the winter, and give it some water if the soil looks extremely dry. If the pot was outside in your zone, it would get moisture from the snow and/or rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here