Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard-to-find Dahlias

Posted by hulalady 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 12:26

I am becoming a Dahlia fanatic wanting to grow a few heirloom and hard-to-find varieties for my 2011 season. After all my research and purchses, I am still without the following:
The Bishop of Llandaff, Deuil Du Roi Albert, & Little Beeswings.

Can anyone tell me where I might buy these tubers? I can't find anyone in Canada that has them for sale (mail order) and the U.S. sources that I've contacted don't ship over the border.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard-to-find Dahlias

Have you tried contacting a local Dahlia club? I knew a couple who belonged to the Quebec Dahila Society and they had amazing specimens growing in their garden.

Below is a link to a listing of societies in Canada and U.S.A.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Dahlia Society

o

You need to find jroot who hangs out on this forum sometimes and also on the Dahlia forum. He grows many many dahlias and has some photos posted on there right now.

o

There was a retailer in B.C. now I don't remember the name. Did see their gardens in the fall a few years ago They have acres of dahlia plants
And have a catalogue

We do have a Dahlia and Chrysanthemum society here in Ontario as well

o

Ferncliff Gardens in B.C. has an online catalog (Dahlias, Peonies, Iris and Daylilies).

o

And... Swan Island Dahlias. in the states will ship to Canada but you have to pay extra for an agriculture inspection certificate.

o

Aftermidnight Thanks yes that is what I was thinking, Ferncliff Gardens and i know Swan Island Dahlias are great as well.

Would not mind if I where walking the fields of Ferncliff Gardens, right now.
Love B.C. and miss it more and more as I become older.
Used to live in Kelowna, which although not Vancouver Island,is pretty nice and the weather perhaps in ways better.e

o
RE: Dahlia Deuil Du Roi Albert

Back in September, I posted a message asking anyone could help me locate a few heirloom dahlias. Someone responded very recently with some helpful info but unfortunately (out of frustration), I ended up ordering this particular dahlia from Jan's Country Garden in the U.S. A truly fabulous lady and gardener who is extremely passionate about her business. I'm sure I will be very happy with my tubers when they arrive in the Spring (she guarantees it!).She had many dahlia cultivars that I have had difficulty finding and so, included them in my order as well. I can't wait for Spring!

o

Your local Canadian, Provincial Dahlia Societies will no doubt be able to help you with your requests; they are usually up on everything having to do with the plant in question.
They guard their responsibilities about what they are all about; it wouldn't do to fail a dahlia grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here