Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karewren

Looking for bargains in Nova Scotia...

karewren
17 years ago

I had posted this response to the bottom of a very long thread on an Ontario post about Bargain Hunting; but wondered if any Haligonians would spy it there, so I'll try again here....

Hi there! I'm very new to gardening, and in the two summers I've been at it I have spent an exorbitant amount of money on trees, shrubs, and perennials. Over the years I had collected neat odds and ends (rusted iron kettles, pumps, car springs to coil ivy through, etc) to add a little inanimate interest in the gardens; but I can't maintain this kind of a budget. I've been reading about all of the great auctions, markets, and sales in Ontario.

Does anyone out east here (Halifax area) know where to bargain hunt for the garden??? Old gardening implements, etc?

Thanks! Karen

Comments (4)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I must say it's getting harder to find those wooden wheels, old plows, water pumps, and such. If you find them, usually they are expensive. Folks have come to realize their value - even whiskey barrels and the smallen wooden fish barrels which I used to play with as a child are going for a pretty price these days.

Every once in a while though, you'll find something which catches your eye at a yard sale or the flea markets. Yard sales are better - people want to get rid of stuff, and even though it might be broken, in the garden it looks good. I've got a few old bird houses some for as little as $2.00.

And, yes, I do stop for garbage! If I see something which catches my eye there's no holding back. My daughter used to find it embarassing, but now loves to go 'hunting' every once in a while. Tonight, on the way home, I picked up an old spool bed which I intend on turning into a garden bed.

In this photo, I picked up the little tricycle and made the garden ball. My dad likes this twosome.

{{gwi:540105}}

Another garden ball - my first one.
    {{gwi:540107}}

I also started making little garden houses... Not a great picture, but here is my first of them.
    {{gwi:381952}}

If you go to a place which sells cement statues/animals/gargoyles/etc, ask if they have broken ones or chipped ones at discount. Barrio's Concrete in Sackville usually has some tucked in a corner, and the price is quite reasonable.

Walks along the beach will sometimes net you a nice piece of driftwood or some cool buoys, or maybe a broken old lobster trap. Got to be there at the right time. Do this after a nice storm surge!

• karewren
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, thanks for the great ideas... and especially for sharing your pics!! Your garden house hamlet is lovely. I'm intrigued as to how you comingled those incredible hostas with the big rocks. I'm working on a Meadow garden (see "Amending soil" posts I and II)on a difficult slope and I'm trying to incorporate plants around some big rocks. Also, I haven't figured out how to include pics in my posts. Any tips? I couldn't see your little house up close in detail, but it looks sweet. What are they made out of? Lovely! Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Karen,

I place my photos in Photobucket and then transfer from there which is quite easy.

The little house is made of wood. I bought this one at a second hand store. It had pansies and windows painted on it, and then I did mosaics on the roof and on some of the sides and front.

I am working on one right now which I started from scratch - bought wood and did the house myself. I'll see if I can post a picture of it soon.

• mora
    17 years ago

The Fall "anything goes pick-ups" are starting. You can find all sorts and re- cycling is is big time smiled upon, just check the local papers!M