Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lasagna garden

Posted by clairdo2 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 13:07

Does anyone have one. I started one last year and planted potatoes in it this year. I planted 5 lbs and got about 20 lbs. It's only about 8 inches deep so far so I guess i didn't do too bad. how deep should it be to grow a decent garden ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lasagna garden

8 inches is good for plants that do not need to go deeper - so most annuals will do well and some close to the surface growing perennials. So you aren't doing too bad to get a good harvest of potatoes. If you lack space and wish to reap a better harvest from one plant - plant a potato in a barrel. In this case you plant your potato seed near the bottom of the barrel (full sun area), and as it grows, you continue to pile in more soil, leaving the top stems exposed. Continue until you reach near the top. By harvest time upturn the potato barrel and you will have a larger harvest. You can imagine that barrel can be more than 3 feet in height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here