Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find full landscape size perennials

Posted by amethystlover 6b/SW ON (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 13:17

I am so upset and angry that I am fit to be tied. My Property Management Company didn't notify me that they would be digging up my yard for sewer work (Says she wasn't told and has been so apologetic but...) I am in a manufactured home park and my yard I converted to gardens as due to the sandy dry soil grass never grows and then the shade is a problem too.

Well I come home after being out of town for a doctor's appointment to find my one parking spot and over 1/2 of my yard dug over 4 feet deep and sewer lines all exposed. They took a reciprocating saw to all of the tree roots and now the tree guy says the tree has to be cut down.

My perennial gardens are gone! for over 20' of garden. I had close to 400 square feet for a garden with a path in the middle. Now I have to start over again! I had perennials that came from all over Canada that I got through the exchange pages or given or from families gardens etc along with mail order and local nurseries. I have been working on it for over 10 years. Due to health problems really hadn't done much this year other transplanting due to work being done along the foundation. So I had dug those up and temporaily moved them until the work was done. They're gone now.

Unless you garden you don't understand how upsetting it is too loose your entire garden. I collected daylilies and had over 15 different well established plants that are gone. The garden was more an English Cottage type garden with mostly purples, blues, pinks and whites. I had spent the time laying it out, filling in the blank spots, making sure that there was always something in bloom so there was colour from early spring to late fall.

The Property Company says they will replace them but I have no idea where to find large landscape size plants. Where do you find daylilies that would work out to be about 4 good size clumps if divided, same with hosta's, sedums, etc. I've called the local nurseries and the most I might find is a 1 gallon pot but again will take 2-3 years to fill out. I don't want to wait again. Any suggestions where to find full landscape sized perennials? Semi-shade is also an issue. The girl I am dealing with isn't a gardener and thinks she can go to home depot and it will be all better.

Any suggestions would be wonderful. I'm in the London area in Ontario so would need to be close enough to drive or would need shipping.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find full landscape size perennials

That is just terrible! I feel for you. Only thing I can suggest is making a list and taking it to the nursery you like and see if they can source it out. Might be easier having one source a cheque could be made too. Don't forget to add mulch and any soil amendments to the list. Good luck and keep us posted.

SCG

o

Talked with a friend that does landscaping and he told me you can also contact landscape companies to price the job - including labour to build.

Again good luck.

SCG

o

There are daylily farms in Ontario. Try to do some internet search for the ones you'd like to try out.

Here is a link that might be useful: daylilies

o

Good morning It is Monday and thanksgiving in Canada

I can imagine really how upset you must be with this garden situation
I am older now myself and spend a lot of time in the gardens working on my gathered treasures just as you wrote

No commercial plants purchased will be just like the ones dug up TO bad they wher enot careful with what they dug and could have saved some.
I would have been beside myself coming home to what you did

At any rate I suggest you contact local garden clubs. Possibly people, with gardens would be willing to dig up some of their plants. Most of us need to thin out da lilies and sedums and it won't do them any arm at all is a good time to divide even just now
AOf course it won't be just the same as what you had but I think would have some interesting results

As for the trees gone one of the nurserieis could replace them
I am way over in Barrie and odn't know any of the garden centres your way
I am sure though when the association is willing to pay to replace bushes and trees a nursery there could accomodate that. I wish you luck with this I am to far away to really think of bringing you plants Just where are you over London way I do have family in Woodstock but they are not much into gardening.
ewSunday

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here