Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cypsavant

Provincial & Territorial Flowers

cypsavant
17 years ago

The other day I realized I had several of our Canadian Provincial flowers growing in my gardens and on my farm...anyone else got a list?

I've got Ontario's White Trillium (T. grandiflorum), New Brunswick's Purple Violet (V. cucullata), P.E.I's Pink Ladyslipper (C.acaule), Newfoundland's Pitcher Plant (S. purpurea), Quebec's Blue Flag Iris (I. versicolor), Manitoba's Praire Crocus (P.ludoviciana), Alberta's Wild Rose (R. acicularis, and the Yukon's Fireweed (E. angustifolium).

I also have Saskatchewan's Lilium Philadelphicum, but mine is the eastern "Wood Lily" variety, not the western "Prairie Lily"

Nova Scotia's Mayflower,or Trailing Arbutus,(Epigaea repens) grows in the woods just north of my farm, so it could almost be on my list.

I've read that Nunavat's Purple Saxifraga (Saxifraga oppositifolia) is a rock garden plant, as is the NWT's Mountain Avens (Dryas integrifolia)...maybe I'll build a rock garden to host them if I can find a source of plants.

As for B.C.'s Pacific Dogwood (Cornus nuttallii) I think I'll have to settle for the several other Cornus species I already have.

Comments (2)