Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

to late to plant Japanese Tree Peony?

diane_v_44
16 years ago

I am in the Barrie, Ontario area zone five I think it would be

Late September.

Have been digging up garden beds, slowly, as I have just moved to this house about a month ago. The old gal aint what she used to be.

Brought with me lots of Hostas, Daylilys, Toad Lily and such.

have been digging in these plants with not much concern for their surviving overwinter

Was at a garden centre yesterday and they have a good sale on Japanese Tree Peony. I left mine behind as I don't think they relocate well.

Would like to buy at least three of the beauties.

What is your opinion?

Comments (5)

• ianna
    16 years ago

Barrie is more zone 4. I'm borderline zone 5 in Richmond Hill.

The plants you have brought with you will survive. just add some mulch for additional insulation and if the snow is thin, add more snow for protection.

As for the peonies--- go ahead. just top mulch.

In anycase best time to transplant deep rooted plants including shrubs and trees, are in mid fall when the plants start to go dormant. They won't root out until the following spring but in the meantime they will overwinter well.

If there are additional plants you'd like to add but don't have time to work on the beds, simply create a trench and sink in pot and all, your plants. leave the top close to the surface, cover with soil and mulch.

Ianna

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

According to Agriculture Canada's zone map, Barrie is 5a, the same as my city. I'm not from around there, nor have I ever been there, so I wouldn't know if it really is more like zone 4 - I know the zone chart is definitely not to be taken as gospel :-). If it really is 5a, then they should survive fairly well - they survive here in Montreal's 5a winter. If it's really more of a zone 4 kind of place, I'd plant them somewhere slightly protected and away from any cold northern winds.

I'd definitely get at least one, since they're on sale. If they're really cheap, then go for a few of them! They're beautiful and very pricey usually - especially decent sized ones!

BP

• sharont
    16 years ago

The old Zone discussion! I live a 20 minute north-west drive of Barrie in the country and have decided I'm a Zone 5a. Made that assumption years ago when Buddleia, Crocosmia, and other borderline hardy plants returned in the spring. (Our local nurseries will not sell Butterfy Bush or Northeren Catalpa because of die back and insisting we are Zome 4.) We usually have lots of snow January to April keeping plants well insulated.

Diane, if you are in the city of Barrie you will definitely be a Zone 5a growing area, IMHO.
    BTW, I moved a Japanese Tree Peony last fall and it survived. And I'm about to plant a new one this week! They are hardy to Zone 4 maybe even Zone 3, so I've read!
    Sharon

• ianna
    16 years ago

If it's in a map, then I'm wrong although my area is 2 hours south from Barrie. I wouldn't describe it as a debate. Zoning helps as a general gauge but it's the microclimates that we all have to watch out for. If you have a very exposed area - to winds, snow, heat, etc.. - then it could very well be possible that the zone in that specific spot can dip further below than the general average. Microclimates change with weather patterns. My recommendation has more to do with preparing for the unexpected. Hence my recommendation if in borderline 5 areas, think zone 4.

Like I had said earlier, go ahead with the planting and mulch to provide better protection during winter. Snow adds to insulation and keeps the ground temps steady. So I normally pile it on during winter to keep my plants safe from teh freeze and thaws. Use the trench method to hold plants you don't have beds for yet. Or use a protected area like a cold frame for such plants -- (use can create a box out of bales of hay and top with an old window frame).

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all

I have planted them, three of them

Waiting for tree leaves to fall now

I am going to go around and pick up bags and bags of leaves and dump them on a spot that will be a new garden bed next spring.
    Should make a good start and kill the grass underneath