Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

favorite plant combos - flowers or foliage

marricgardens
14 years ago

O. K. everyone. It's time to redo my flowerbed. It's 20' long. Already have a few plants in it that I want to keep - Max Frei geranium, maltese cross, east freisland salvia, blue hyssop, pink penstemon, white clips campanula. I was also planning on dividing a few perennials from my other bed and planting them in the 'newly made' bed. Had to get rid of some others because they started taking over. I would like to have both summer and fall colour. Doesn't matter if its flowers or foliage as long as they look good together, I know, everyone has their own favorites. The plants should not be over 4' (I hate staking, it's not a site I like to see in my garden), no more anemones - I already have 'Robitussimo' and it is pink, I have a tendency to lean towards pink, blue or purple, so I need other colors. I thought I'd try and get some new ideas from you guys. How about it? Marg

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Try mating your friesland salvia with goblin gillardia. It's an orangish red daisy like flower with yellow tips and a brown center. The Salvia and gillardia's flowers are complimentary colors. Goblin's flower is about 3 to 4 inches across, the plant grows 12 inches tall--sometimes a bit taller. It's very winter hardy and blooma almost all summer--longer if you deadhead. I still have some blooming in my beds.

Other long bloomers that I have are moonbean and sunray coreopsis. Both are yellow and grow no bigger than 18 inches

• ontnative
    14 years ago

In a part shade bed, I have Eupatorium 'Little Joe' (pale, frosty pink) with Phlox paniculata Mrs. Pepper (medium pink with darker eye/no mildew) and Anemone hybr. 'Pamina' (dark pink double). These are all still blooming now and look very pretty together. I am not a "pink person" but this is a lovely combination for a "not-too-dry" spot.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Blue hyssop looks neat when paired with Iceland poppies.
    They bloom together here.

• aker
    14 years ago

My favorite combo for a large planter is:

Plectranthus Troy's gold.
    Coral Swirl Impatien.
    Bright purple Impatiens.
    One Canna Tropicana.
    Coleus with brown and pink foliage.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Ont. Native, I like your idea of combining joe pye with phlox. I have some joe pye weed in teh backyard which I had paired up with coneflowers and rudbeckia and ornamental grass. However I was thinking that the coneflower and Joe pye weed is not working out and was planning to remove the coneflowers. I have a phlox davidii elsewhere which I could pair up with the pye weed.

My favorite combination is my cordonna sage with lady's mantle. Coneflowers with my tall ornamental grasses. Dill with calendula and drumstick allium. Lady's mantle with lamb's ears.

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Hi;
    How about: Miscanthus Sinensis,Canna Pretoria,Roses,Oriental Lilies,Hardy Hibiscus (dinner plate-short variety),Peony,Oriental Popy, Campanula Glomerata Superba,Hostas,Dusty Millers,Amaranthus, Dahlias. I Can see these plant on your flower bed.
    Hala.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are some wonderful combinations, and reminders! I have a holding bed where I put plants I don't know where to place permanently.
    Hala - your post reminded me that I have campanula Superba. I also have the oriental poppy 'Angels Choir'. Now I know where they will go.
    Ianna - I have gotten more varieties of coneflower thru trades. I may put some in the bed.
    Aker - I hadn't thought of to many annuals in there, but coleus would be a great idea.
    xaroline - I also love the idea of poppies with the blue hyssop.
    Ontnative - I alread have Miss Pepper phlox in that bed and I have a pink anemone. Just to let you know Miss Pepper has been here 6 years and gotten mildew once. Never thought of them togther.
    Oilpainter - I'm not a fan of gallardias but I like the idea of that colour combo. Any ideas for another type of flower to put in front of the salvia?
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone. Keep them coming, it's a large bed! Marg

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Goblin gillardia is one of my favorites. It's very hardy, blooms all summer, is showy and bugs seldom bother it. I have it tucked into most of my beds.

However to each his own. Another suggestion is Heuchera 'Creme Brulee'. Lovely bright bronze foliage on this coral bells that would offset the dark blue and green leaves of the salvia

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations