Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to begin winter sowing

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 16:17

Hi, I'm attempting winter sowing and was wondering when is the time to even start doing this. Ianna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to begin winter sowing

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 22:13

You can start any time, just like mother nature would, BUT I usually start mine once the snow starts to fly. I don't have enough time before that. So December is good, or January, or February. Some seeds need a longer cold period, so that should be taken into consideration. Check out the winter sowing forum on the garden web. There is a lot of good information there,....especially Trudy, whom I believe founded the movement.

o

You can also check out the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum. One of the posts there is concerning when to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Winter Sowing Forum.

o

I prep my containers now (I use those large 10 litre water jugs cut on their sides to allow more room to grow things in, and actually recycle about 75% of the previous years jugs that survived the cold without cracking too much) and fill with soil outside (where the mess still can be hosed down). Then I bring them down to the cellar to wait until the week after New Years, when I can concentrate on exactly what I want each jugs to contain, and then I plunk those jugs back outside until spring.

One year I started too late and it took ages for the bags of soil to thaw indoors - I had left the bags of soil in a pile outside, and because of the rains & subsequent freezing, the job of even trying to separate the pile of bags from each other was an adventure I don't want to repeat. The bottom bag never did get used as it was frozen to the concrete.

Best wishes.

o

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm moving and will have to create a new garden from scratch once more (dare I say, yeepee)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here