Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to bring Ferns in for winter

Posted by ajja1970 Ontario/Toronto (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 07 at 16:38

Hi there....
I am very new to gardening and live in Toronto. I have two beautiful Ferns on my balcony that just thrived during this summer. When would it be a good idea to bring them in for the winter and also I beleive I need to re-pot them in larger pots wgat would be a good soil for them.
I know this sounds a little naive but just getting started in having plants.(real ones)...lol
Thank for any help you can offer
Ajja

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to bring Ferns in for winter

It really depends on what kind of fern. If tropical, house plant type ferns then you will need to bring them in the first night that frost is predicted. Any house plant/container soil can be used for repotting.

If they are actually hardy, outdoor ferns you have a bit of a problem. Those ferns need to have a dormant period during the winter in a cool, dark place. Basement root cellers and unheated garages are good places to put container grown hardy ferns for the winter but you won't have those in an apartment. You could try overwintering on the balcony with a thick layer of straw insulation and keep your fingers crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here