Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vancouver exotic plants vs Halifax tropical storms

Posted by den_vic BC Canada Z8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 16:50

One thing in common in those two places and that is to find rhododendrons in local gardens. Even if Vancouver has a much larger selection. Halifax has one advantage in that the summers are much wetter for plants especially vs Victoria, BC which can be dangerously dry in summer.

The violent nature of storm winds in Halifax blows away any BC coast winter Pineapple Express in comparison. I visited the post-hurricane Juan damage. It was like a bomb hit local parks. A huge shame about the direct hit. Now forecasters fear another hurricane will soon hit Nova Scotia. The warming oceans have created some damage in BC as in the pine beetle and that's an inland issue. Vancouver is further north than Halifax but on this side of the country the added energy in the oceans has moved exotic plants where most people would not believe until this saw it. But the proof is on Google Earth.

I posted a video of a street in Vancouver which goes against what many believe about Canada. So there you go, subtropical summer heat in southern Ontario (I could use that summer rain), tropical storms (now with a cat 2) over Nova Scotia and subtropical trees in Vancouver. So we have subtropical elements in three regions where there are large bodies of water.

I'm glad that I did experience BC, ON and NS. Southern Ontario has a spot called the "Banana Belt". If we are talking muggy summer heat it's Ontario for sure. If we talk gardening it's west coast, Vancouver down to Salt Spring and Victoria, BC. That's where you'll find fronds no matter the time of year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of subtropical trees on a Vancouver street

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vancouver exotic plants vs Halifax tropical storms

Hello, I live in Southwestern Nova Scotia Zone 6 and I have many rododendrons,azaleas, Mountain Laurels, etc. all of which were not damaged by Juan or the sometimes heavy snowfall we get and I live beside the water, also get lots of wind. I have some rhodos that are approx 25 yrs. and I moved 4 large ones two years ago, they are doing well.
Last winter we did not get much snow. Waiting for tomorrow to see what Earl brings. It rained earlier now (after midnight) it has stopped, crickets churping. Down at the lighthouse earlier, tide going out but the waves were getting rougher.

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here