Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Datura

Posted by nounou 4B (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 17:16

I live in zone 5 (Ottawa) and was wondering if anyone had any success overwintering Datura plants. I have two plants that I seeded this year and they have done well.

It's getting cooler now and didn't know if I should bring them in or seed again next spring.

Lynne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Datura

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 19:46

Daturas are annuals in our zone 5, Lynne. I have found that the single white will often reseed itself and come up on its own. The purples and yellows don't seem to make it.

However, you can bring in some seeds, and start again in April, and you will have a good batch ready for planting after all danger of frost is over ( June 1st here )

o

• Posted by sammyqc NE Quebec/zn 4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 22:46

I've overwintered a baby datura that a neighbor gave me years ago, but that was the only time I've tried and long before I knew anything about gardening or daturas. Last year I tried a purple dat, cause I was trying to get some seeds, but it died pretty quickly. Probably just too dry inside for it.
But as jroot said, they come back from seed, and if you start some inside they will grow so quickly for you once transplanted. Not really worth the bother to bring in, go with the seeds.
Sam.

o

You can simply let it be. It would have reseeded by now and more new plants will grow from those seeds by next year. No need even to start early on seeding. My neighbor had one plant last year which she'd left out. This year, her bed is a mass of daturas from the seeds.

o

I successfully overwinter Triple Purple Datura inside the house at window with morning sun.I simply dig it out and transfer to a pot with a pot soil and it grows and blooms.In spring I take it outside where it continues to grow and bloom without loosing leafs.Beyond that I have Daturas in my garden growing from seeds.

o

Thank you everyone for the tips. I think I will pot one up and leave the other in the garden and see what happens next year.

Lynne

o

I have read that Datura has a tuber which can be lifted and stored just like a Dahlia - do not know if this is true.

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 19:10

I've tried bringing in potted daturas twice and they got diseased. This year I had a datura regrow from the root, much to my surprise. It was planted very close to the house, which probably explains it.

You could experiment with saving the root also.

Janet's Garden

o

I may try overwintering roots..........all my daturas are 4 to 6 feet high and much too large to drag indoors, where they have to compete with the palms and banana plants. I may try to pack up the roots like I do with cannas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here