Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mari11_gw

Where to buy black currant plants?

Mari11
11 years ago

I am looking for good varieties of black currants like Ben series, but all I could find was wholesale nursery where I had to buy 120 plants while I needed 3. In local garden centers I didn't find these new varieties.

Please, help if you know any place!

Comments (5)

• ianna
    11 years ago

you could ask the wholesale nursery where their plants are sold locally.

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

Nice to hear someone wanting to plant black currant bushes
    I don't know so much the varieties but will look up Ben
    I planted some bushes about five years ago.
    Black, red and one white one
    For some reason they are not doing all that well THe red currents doing best.
    One bush of gooseberries as well
    Might be the soil is to rich .
    I remember when my dad had these bushes years ago they where planted in full sun but not very rich soil

Anyway, I think you might yet find some in small independent garden centres. Not the big box stores and they will be really marked down in price

Is I do know a great time to plant them, in fall and late summer. If you can find any plants for sale
    Or you may just need to wait til spring

Expect though you might turn some bushes up.
    I am way out in Barrie Ontario but would have a look around for you, if it would be of any help.

In spring
    sometimes I have little seedling plants come up from the dropped currents Don't know if they would come true or not
    I generally just dig them under

Was nice to hear of someone planting black currents They are a great favourie to me.

• rose0lavender
    11 years ago

Check out Humber Nurseries, it's off of Steeles in Brampton. Call them and ask about their upcoming 2013 plants, specifically their black currents. They've always had quite a variety of plants from what I could remember, and they all were healthy. They are not wholesalers, so you can buy individual plants.

• Anyasco
    10 years ago

This is probably coming a bit late but I just ordered cuttings of 6 different Ben series currants, DNA nurseries has a 25 cuttings minimum order and I really don't need that many. If you want some let me know :).
    I don't know if we're allowed to sell on here but I have nothing I need atm, maybe I'll trade for something from you in the future?
    I can also make Nanking cherry cuttings from my bushes, those are always free :)

Anya

• dianasan
    10 years ago

Do you have a Botanix in your area? Botanix here in western Montreal has "Consort" in a 10-inch pot for $16.99. I read some good things about this variety.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner