Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_b

need a special flower

triple_b
17 years ago

Does anyone know of a flower-dahlia, daylily,lily, peony, whatever, that has the name Raphael/Rafael? I lost my little son last week (died in utero and delivered stillborn) and would like to find a flower with his name to grow in his memory. (His name is Raffael but that is not the typical spelling). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless.

Comments (9)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

How terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I know there's nothing I can say to really help, but I hope you and your DH are ok.

This place claims to have a daylily by the name of Raphael. It's an American company, so it might not work for you, but maybe you caoul ship it to an American friend and have them pass it along (you'd have to do it without putting anything on the customs form - it's 'officially' not allowed). I know some growers/hybridizers allow you to buy naming rights - maybe if you asked on the rose or daylily forms someone would know the name of such a place. I'll hunt around and see what I can come up with.

If you can't find something with the name, then maybe you could make "Raffael's Garden". You could plant things that remind you in some way him - maybe some sort of tree with a weeping form, or flowers with the colour you were going to paint his room in? A small reflecting pool, so you can 'look inside' and see him?

BP

• triple_b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, that is a nice daylily (although my DH would want something a little more "boyish" in color, lol). Rainbow Hill has naming rights for their daylilies. It costs $777. Getting the other company to mail to Canada would be a problem too. I guess I will continue my quest. Thanks for the ideas for the Raphael garden. I already am thinking of Stokes Aster. Being born in September, Aster is supposed to be the flowere of the month and the Stokes one is a nice "boy" blue. One of those times when I reflect on gardening and decide "yup, renting sucks".

• peatpod
    17 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

I know that Hortico does custom rose naming .. check out their web site. They are in Ontario.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Hortico

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I seem to be somewhat spelling challenged tonight! Or maybe just lazy :-)

That is a lot of money for naming rights! I wonder if that is typical or not. I've never looked into it other than storing the fact that it can be done away in my memory.

Renting and memorial gardens are not all that incompatible, but you'd have to pick plants that can be dug up and moved. Or get creative - a water garden in a barrel, a tropical beauty, garden art, a patch of sun(son) flowers... I have a couple of memorial plants that are in pots and could easily come with me when I eventually move (ok, one of them isn't so easy because it's huge, but it'll come anyhow), but I have plans to eventually build a special garden to remind me of several people and furry friends I have known.

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Nicole.

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I did a google search and did not find any other plants with Rafael in the name, other than the daylily. Then I decided to check out St. Raphael. It said he was one of the seven arcangels. There is a plant called yellow arcangel, lamiastrum galeobdolon. Perhaps this is something you would like to consider? I hope you find a what you are looking for. marric

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, Triple B. Sunflowers to you and your dh.

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

What words can one say, other than to say it is sad, to have such a loss.

A special garden or plant, is a comforting idea. Good luck .

• triple_b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not sure who it was, a Canadian company I know for sure. Their naming rights for a rose cost: (hold on to your hat) $6-8,000!! Yup.