Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Katsura Cercidiphyllum japonicum

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 20:47

Does anyone know of a mailorder nursery that has these? Years back, I had seen a very nice specimen in Edmonton, Alberta, I was surprised that the tree was hardy in this location ... I should have been wise and noted the address!

If anyone would have seed (I guess it's easy to start)... I'd be glad to make a trade of something interesting in return.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Katsura Cercidiphyllum japonicum

Try asking in the northern garden forum for referrals. You will need to search for a nursery closer to your location the reason is you need to ensure the plants you get is hardy to your area. Sometimes trees are grafted onto hardier stocks which makes it seem as if they've gotten hardier in that zone. Or it may be that the climate is warmiing up and more plants are able to survive in zones lower. For example, I was surprised by the proliferation of japanese maple trees in my zone which is a zone 5 or a US zone 4. I later discovered that many were grafted. Same thing with David Austen Roses.

o

Try this nursery. They have a very extensive list of plants.
www.whistlinggardens.ca They are located in Ontario.

o

Yugoslava

That whistlinggardens.ca centre sure looks an interesting place to have a look at

Emailed to see if they are yet open

o

Try Gardens North. I purchased seed from her in 2007.

o

Thanks all for their suggestions, you have given me some good leads and I apreciate it :)

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here