Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black garden edging - do stakes work?

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 20:55

The black edging for gardens tends to pull up with the frost. After reading some internet posts it seems that if you add spike perpendicular to the edging that this will prevent lifting. They recommend "professional grade" of edging which comes with spikes. No one seems to have it.

I was wondering:

a) anyone know of a source near Guelph?

b) has anyone tried using this with spikes and what were the results?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black garden edging - do stakes work?

Does Lee Valley have a store near you? I know they have a several in Ontario, but I don't know where they are. They have professional aluminum edging that comes with stakes, but it's only in green. They sell the stakes seperately, so maybe you could use those with your balck edging?

BP

o

I know when I bought some edging earlier this year at the Rona in Cambridge they had the spikes. I remember looking at them and thinking I probably didn't need them since my edging seems to stay down okay. It might be a little late in the season to find them though. I've linked the Lee Valley catalog page with the stakes bonniepunch mentiones above. Stakes are sold separately in packages of 4.

tess

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley

o

They do sell black edgers as kits complete with stakes. Yes they work. I use them in my garden to keep the grass from invading the beds. You generally need to dig down a trench to the depth of the liner and then peg down the liners with stakes every few feet. Then back fill the area. Since most liners are coiled, it's very difficult to use it for areas with straight beds, otherwise it does work great in most cases. In my case I have straight beds and unfortunately, the metal and straight edgers became available only after I've completed the work in the garden.

Ianna

o

I have your answer for free shipping of edging with stakes to your home. Trick is you have to order from www.YardProduct.com and all shipping is free on 8' boxes in Canada but if you order 16' there is a shipping charge. The boxes comes with all the stakes you need and you can buy extra that fit in frost holes at a 45 degree angle to prevent frost heave. Has worked excellent for me. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here